Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

OK, Kisal that's great. I won't add anything like that to them then. I wondered too, but thought maybe??? Guess not. Probably would work for a miniature in-door rose, but not a cactus type plant. Good to know. Thanks again. :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think worm compost, finely sifted regular compost, and compost tea are all fine for the majority of indoor plants. Most "houseplants" are of tropical origin, many native to the tropical rainforests, so they love and need very rich soil.

There's still the drainage issue to consider, though, which is a matter of constant concern in container plant culture. Compost should probably have some sand and/or perlite added if it's to be used for plants in containers. JMO. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:shock: I had a good look under the biggest desert rose plants pot, and it is really root bound. So I am going to transplant it. Should I use a clay pot or a plastic one??? I always thought clay pots were good, but this one doesn't have a shiny glaze to it, so maybe it's not so good to use? Sorry I got us of the original thread. Will try not to do that again. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unglazed terra cotta containers are, in my experience, the very best thing for desert plants. Unglazed clay/ceramic is porous, which helps the soil to dry faster, providing needed air to the roots. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Kisal, Thanks so much once more! Thankfully I have the right kind of pot. So I'll transplant it tonight after dinner. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”