hsmirnov
Newly Registered

Winter Care?

I have a quite a few tropical plants in my apt, including some succulents (an Aloe Vera, small jade, and an Echeveria). they have all done very well over the summer, some lived outside on my balcony and almost doubled in size, but I'm concerned now for the winter months ( I live in Southern Ontario, Canada). I know I have to cut down on watering, but I was wondering if I should take any special precautions?
should I move them far away from heaters or cold windows?
do I need to keep a closer eye out for bugs in the winter?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Not sure about the rest, but I definately move them away from windows, where they could get drafts. They don't do well at all getting cold.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Your succulents go dormant during the winter, so you'll want to reduce watering. Water only enough to keep them from shriveling/getting wrinkled. That should be about once every 3 to 4 weeks, but it will vary depending on how large a pot the plant is in (larger pots = more soil = a longer time to become dry).

GM is correct that your plants should be moved back from the window. They still need sun, but they can freeze if they're too close to the glass. Also, if there is a drape or curtain, never leave the plants between that and the glass, because cold air is trapped in that space.

Don't repot any of your succulents until growth begins again in the spring.

HTH! :)

applestar
Mod

Two peskiest pests on my aloe and zebra plant (Hawarthia) during winter months are scale insects and mealy bugs. :x I use rubbing alcohol soaked cotton swabs to remove them individually. When there's a heavy infestation (I.e. I didn't catch them early on and keep down the population) the buggers migrate to the orchids and Christmas cactus as well. :evil:

hsmirnov
Newly Registered

how do u know if u have scale/mealy bugs?
I have moved all of my plants a good 10 inches from the windows, most seem to be slowing down their water intake, except for my umbrella tree, it has new growth and doesn't seem to realize its getting close to winter :S

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can see scale insects and mealy bugs on your plants. Scale generally looks like little brown bumps, and mealy bugs look like tiny bits of white fluff. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”