Mini Mango!

LANDSCAPING my NEW garden - ANY HELP GUYS?

Hi Everyone!

We are finally moving into a house with a garden area! If all goes well then next week we should have moved yeey!
And that means (to me) - SHOPPING!!!! Shopping for plants/flowers/seeds..

My request to you all: Could you please be so kind in helping/suggesting me any nice plants/flowers to get? I live in Dubai.. (I don't know which zone it would be, can anyone tell me pls?)
Maybe you can also suggest any online shop for desert seeds and all that kind - the ones which would survive well in my area? (I love those that flower! The more the sweeter :flower: , but I will also plant some green trees.)

I have an 'almost' walking baby girl :) , so I need to take some precautions as well with what to get... .

If you have any pics to give me some inspiration for my garden - that would be awesome as well!! :D :wink:

THANKS GUYS!!
Hope to hear from you all soon!!

MM

lorax
Greener Thumb

You're considered to be USDA Zone 13, which is a kind of nondescriptive designation for tropical and winterless locales.

[url=https://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/pics/kottek_et_al_2006.gif]Koppen-Geiger[/url], which is a comparative climate systematics map, calls your area "Permanently Hot Arid Desert" - if you compare that with other places around the world (and within 2 steps of your own climate), you'll find a lot of neat information on the plants that will do well in your climate. For you, that means staying with the zones that start with B.

This said, since I live within a climate zone of you according to K-G, I can tell you the following:

Plumeria, Date Palms, Citrus, Adenium, Aeonium, and all manner of succulents will do extraordinarily well for you. Other good choices include desert Bromeliads, Agave, and Euphorbia (although you'll want to wait on the latter until your girl is quite steady on her feet.)

Citrus is a great choice, since it combines attractive foliage with extremely sweet-smelling flowers and edible fruits, and it won't be dangerous for your daughter. All parts are edible and quite pleasant.

Plumeria and Adenium are toxic if eaten, but if you fence them or place them in areas where she can't get to, they're great plants with fantastic desert resistance and beautiful flowers. And of course, they're good lessons as well - Plumeria is one of the plants my mom used to teach me "look and sniff, but don't touch or eat."

You should also be able to grow bananas provided that you can water them. If you've got a shaded area in the yard, that's a great place for them; in turn, they provide shade for more tender plants.

For annual/perennial flowers, look at Marigolds, Calendula, and African Daisies (Osteospermum, Gazania, and Arctotis) - these are kid-safe and desert-hardy. Sunflowers will also do very well for you, as will Sweet Peas and probably Hyacinth beans as well.

I'd also reccomend that you consider Edible Landscaping - this means that most of what you put in are food crops. Bush beans and lettuce, for example, are an excellent crop for the area under bananas; tomatoes perform well in full sun, and can be intercropped with kitchen herbs like Basil and Parsley. The added benefit of edible landscaping is knowing that 99% of what your daughter could get into is food, not poison.

Mini Mango!

Thanks alot for your quick reply, Lorax.

Plumeria! Fantastich, thanks for reminding me the name of it! I loooove those trees. I am planning to get some, but I forgot it's name so every time I need to give a whole description of how the tree looks like. feuw..

I have already hibiscuses, adeniums, date palms and lemons and I thought to get some more of those because mine are still very small as I grew them from seed (expect the adeniums).
I love oleanders as well, but now I found out that they are very poisonous... :(
Maybe I will plant them outside somewhere, together with adeniums. It will be my "poisonous garden" :lol: And maybe some cacti in between.. :mrgreen:

There is another tree I really like but forgot the name of it as well.. Here's a pic:

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_YurQpaXPJFs/R5nE1ycizDI/AAAAAAAAHZ8/NC0bsv_AkQg/002008.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think that's Flame of the Forest (Delonix regia or poinciana regia). :)

lorax
Greener Thumb

Yup, Royal Poinciana or Flame of the Forest - Delonix regia. I've got seeds for a cultivar with yellow flowers, if you'd like.

Mini Mango!

Thanks for the name!

Oh YELLOW? Interesting!! I've only seen here the red-orange colors.
Yes please :D, I would be very happy to have the seeds! But, isn't it expensive to send it all the way here :?: :(

lorax
Greener Thumb

No more expensive than it is to send to South Africa, which is to say, less than $5. PM me! I'll also throw in some interesting heat-tolerant edibles.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”