lily51
Greener Thumb

Advice for getting into succulents

I have a few succulents in my garden..some stonecrop, a couple different sedums and of course, chicks and hens.
Today I bought a Pancake Plant. Has very large, flat roundish shaped leaves (surprise :) There was no info with it.
A. Is it a tropical
B. Can I propagate it with the leaves as I do the chicks and hens?

Also, what are the best sources for purchasing sedums online?
Are these plants (succulents in general) subject to many diseases or pests?

Sorry for all the questions, Ijust don't know much about them. :?
Thanks for any and all input.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The Pancake Plant is Kalanchoe luciae, but there is another species ... Kalanchoe thyrsiflora ... which is almost identical. The former will have reddish leaves when the weather is cool if grown in bright light. The latter species does not develop the red color.

They are desert succulents, originating in Africa, not technically what one would classify as "tropical", IMO. They need extremely well-draining soil.

Care is the same as for other Kalanchoes, and yes, they can be propagated from leaves or cuttings. The plants die after they flower, so it's a good idea to always have some new starts in progress.

Most succulents aren't bothered by many pests. I know mealy bugs can kill cacti, though, so it's always wise to keep an eye on the plants. I don't buy plants online, so I can't help you with that question. I find that I get better quality of plants when I buy from independent local garden stores. The plants are already acclimated to the weather here by the time I bring them home. (Even indoor plants have to become accustomed to the dampness where I live. :lol: )

K. luciae
[img]https://www.smgrowers.com/image/Kalanchoethry2.jpg[/img]

K. thrysflora
[img]https://www.smgrowers.com/image/Kalanchoe_thyrsiflora_true.jpg[/img]

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Kisel, for the info
One more question...can I just keep the plant from flowering and then it won't die? Probably not, but just wondered.

Your quote is interesting. I have two little granddaughters who would disagree! :) They are sure fairies live in my garden and greenhouse!
I wish they did, as according to those girls the fairies make all things perfect with just a wave of their hand. :wink:

P.S.
(We almost got to your state last Jan when we were in Seattle. Thought we'd drive down to a friend in Mendicino, but when she said the law says you have to have chains on your tires and we'd have to check which passes were open, we changed our minds and flew to a cousin's who lives in Palm Springs. It's still on our list, just in the summer.)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It might be possible to remove the flower stalks from your plant and keep it alive.

My sempervivums die after they bloom, but I've never made any effort to avoid the process. There are always so many offsets that I have to replant them every spring anyway.

Your Kalanchoe luciae will produce offsets, too. After it blooms, baby plants appear at the base of the flower stalk and all along the stalk. When I originally responded to your post, I didn't know that Kalanchoes did that. Unless you want a whole bunch of them, you probably won't have to bother with propagation. :)

My signature really doesn't have anything to do with fairies in the garden. Douglas Adams was an author and playwright. Among other things, he wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I share some of the ideas he espoused. :)

Blue Fox

Hi Lily51, you have taken up this hobby (addiction?) at exactly the right time, as there is a lot of buzz about succulents. I personally have an attraction to the rosette forming succulents - hardy ones such as Sempervivum and Jovibarba, and the tender ones such as Echeveria and generic hybrids like Pachyveria, Sedeveria and, oh what the heck, pretty much any other succulent plants. They make the greatest mixed planters for the summer on the deck, and are quite happy indoors under lights for the winter.

They don't seem very susceptible to diseases other than root rot, and as for pests, the odd plant will get aphids or mealy bugs.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I have been wanting to add more succulents to my collection of plants, but the stores sure don't have much choice right now.---When is the best time to look for them? Spring, summer or fall/winter? For new shipments is what I mean. Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think there are different kinds all throughout the year. This time of year, you should be able to choose some pretty holiday cacti. :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”