CactiNewb

aloe vera watering

So I have a aloe vera in like a 3-4" pot thats like 3" tall.

How much water should I give it? How often to water aloe? [/list]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I submerge the entire pot in water and leave it until no more air bubbles break the surface. I have no way of measuring how much water the root ball absorbs, so I can't advise you on an amount of water to give the plant.

On average, presuming the plant receives plenty of light, an aloe should be watered about every 2 weeks. The exception would be during the dormant period. During dormancy, they need much less water.

Plants in lower light situations also don't need as much water as those growing in very bright light or full sun.

CactiNewb

Thanks!

Yeah I'm afraid to water mine because I just bought it from lowes almost a week ago and I don't know how often it got waterd there. It hasnt been getting full sun lots of rain clouds latly. So maybe I can wait another week or 2

philm00x

I've never flooded the soil my aloe is in, and it's been doing pretty well. I only water it to the point that all of the soil is wet, but not soggy, and then wait for it to dry up. on average the soil dries up in 3 days, sitting in partial shade. it's not a very large aloe plant, sitting in a pot about 4 inches wide, but when I first got it, its arms didn't reach out far enough to hang over the pot. now it's reaching almost a good 8-10 inches over the edge of the pot, after about 6 months.

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

I've been watering my Aloe zanzibarica the same way Kisal describes, waiting for the soil to dry out completely before watering again. Which usually takes 1-2 weeks. I water all of my succulents that way. :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”