Nievesgirl
Newly Registered

Adenium aka desert roses

Hello everyone I have recently falling in love with desert roses and succulents and I would like more information about Hybrid desert roses etc..

I would like to know if you get seeds from a cultivar will the seeds plant and grow as the same cultivar or since its a hybrid no ? I am experience with hybridizing Hibiscus and with hibiscus a cultivar will not give you same seedling as parents. I would like to buy some seeds but would hate to buy seeds that will not look like the parent when grown.

I also saw that you can get grafted Adenium but the bases of the plant will not look as interesting as a natural seeded plant.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

From what I've read, no matter what plant you get seeds from the seeds will look different from the parent, or could be similar but not exactly the same.

The only way for you to ensure the plant you get is "exactly" like the parent would be to take cuttings from the said parent you wish to replicate.

Diversity and survival of the plant at hand is the reason for seeds always being somewhat different from the parent plant.

Hope this helps :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Just curious, are the seeds hard to grow? I saw somewhere where they set the seeds on the top of the soil? Would that work? Seems kind of strange to me. Any ideas would be welcome? Thanks in advance.

I like plants

Usually, when planting a seed, you just slightly cover it. Otherwhise, it will be too far from the top and will just kinda die.

So just put it on the soil and spread a bit of soil over it. Kinda like sprinkling salt on your eggs. You just gotta cover the seed ever so slightly.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Great, I'm going to try that this weekend. Get everything set up ready to go. Apparently we are going to have a snow storm this weekend, so might as well play around with some seeds. Seeds that stay INSIDE. Hopefully they will grow. I ordered some different coloured ones. Maybe? one day ( if they grow) they will flower. Great info on how much soil to put on them.. Apparently not much! Thanks very much.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Can you take cuttings off a desert rose plant? If so, do you put them in soil, water, or?????? Not sure how to do this, but would like to try. Thanks in advance. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”