shiapep

shiapep wrote:https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8096411

I hope that link works. I'm trying to find him through another forum. I don't know how to post pictures directly onto this one.
When I started his thread, he was tilted down a lot further. He's starting to perk back up. I've had him off of the windowsill for the last couple of days. Maybe that's helping?

I haven't had a chance to re-pot him. I have a little pot, somewhere, and I think it's terra cotta, but I'm worried it might be too small. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than what he's in now, which is about 2.5" across and 3 inches tall. What do you think of that size?
I just got back from the store, so I'll be re-potting him directly. I'll keep you posted, once I do. Should I water him after re-potting?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'd be interested to know the condition of the roots. In the latest pic, the plant appears to have lost the entire basal rosette. :(

shiapep

Kisal wrote:I'd be interested to know the condition of the roots. In the latest pic, the plant appears to have lost the entire basal rosette. :(
The roots looked fine, to me.... They weren't as spread out as the roots of the ivy I just re-potted, but.... Is there anything specific/significant that could be wrong that I would have noticed?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Okie dokie my friends :)

Guess what I did today?? lol

I went to Lowes!! ;p

I purchased a couple things :D I purchased a Anacampseros lubbersil and a Anacamperos Rufescens. I've come to the conclusion that your plant is indeed a Anacamperos Rufescens, as just about everyone I've spoken to says that is what it is "and" due to the fact that it has most of the similar characteristics of a Anacamperos Rufescens. I've been told by a few people that your plant is indeed a Anacamperos Rufescens but that it is one in need of light. So here is what I'm thinking. I am thinking that the stem is long and the leaves are so spaced out because it is searching for light. You are absolutely right that your plant doesn't look like any of the google photos when you search Anacameros Rufescens because the ones you are seeing are ones with the correct growing conditions for the plant to grow at its peak. All of what I am saying is just my analysis after a large amount of research and multiple opinions of what your plant seems to be. :)

If you do however ever find out otherwise please do let me know :) I actually like how your plant looks LOL though it may be lacking light I think it really makes for an interesting looking plant. I was actually a bit disappointed to find that there wasn't an actual plant out there with the same characteristics as the one you have without restraining the plant from light = /

All in all I now have two brand new plants. My very first actual cactus looking succulents :) I will post pictures of them soon so you can see what they look like right now and I'll keep this forum updated as they grow. :)

shiapep

Oh, cool. Thank you.

Is there any advisable artificial light I can give it? I'm in a dorm, so I only have one window. Therefore, he's either going to have to be stuck with that or compromise. I don't want to just stick him under my desk lamp and damage him, though. Any advice?

If your conclusion is correct, how long will it take for him to begin to look ..."normal"?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

well as far as indoor light goes I know that there are special plant lights out there but I really don't have any clue what they are all about lol. I have a backyard so I just put all plants that need sun out there. Which is most of them so far lol! :)

As far as your plant recovering and looking like a normal one it may not happen unless you cut it back and start all over which I wouldn't recommend doing until someone else with more succulent plant "know how" tells you to lol

shiapep

BewilderedGreenyO.o wrote:well as far as indoor light goes I know that there are special plant lights out there but I really don't have any clue what they are all about lol. I have a backyard so I just put all plants that need sun out there. Which is most of them so far lol! :)

As far as your plant recovering and looking like a normal one it may not happen unless you cut it back and start all over which I wouldn't recommend doing until someone else with more succulent plant "know how" tells you to lol
Someone on the other forum I posted on did. lol. I don't really WANT to cut him back.... I like him. lol.

If he's getting the appropriate light and watering, now, will keeping him like that hurt/damage him?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I wouldn't think so... I would think that as long as he has what he needs to survive he should just continue to grow... though he may start to grow a bit differently and may change a bit once you give him what he needs.

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

You could also take one or two of the leaves and start a new plant. :)
BewilderedGreenyO.o wrote:All in all I now have two brand new plants. My very first actual cactus looking succulents Smile I will post pictures of them soon so you can see what they look like right now and I'll keep this forum updated as they grow. Smile
Looking forward to pics! :D

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

My Brand New Succulent Babies :)

Anacamperos Rufescens

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P6160093.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P6160094.jpg[/img]

Anacampseros lubbersil

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P6160095.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/P6160096.jpg[/img]

You can't tell on the Lubbersil photos that it also has those fine fiber-like growths that emerge from the stems at the leaf nodes but it does!! :D It was the only Lubbersil they had and the only other Anacamperos Species there besides the Anacamperos Rufescens which there seemed to be plenty of. So I felt pretty lucky to get the Lubbersil variety as well :D

AoibheNeasa
Cool Member

Very pretty! I had not seen the lubbersii before. I see your rufescens has similar growth to the OP (though not as spread out). Mine has never had growth like that though I haven't had it for very long. Thanks for sharing Greeny! :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”