BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Further Clarification on this Hoya.

Hi All! :D

So I was browsing pictures of Hoya's and came across this one.
"hoya macgillivrayi pandanus creek, Qld" It is gorgeous.. (most Hoya's are) ;p But I wanted to know if this one in particular could grow in Socal. I am having difficulty finding much information on it :|

[img]https://www.international-hoya.org/hmacgill.jpg[/img]

lorax
Greener Thumb

Well, it's originally from Queensland Australia, according to the botanical designation you've provided.

A quick check of the [url=https://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/]Koppen-Geiger climate systematics[/url] tells me that southern California and Queensland have similar climates - if anything, Qld is drier than SoCal, and with my experience vis a vis Hoya, that's not going to be an issue. Therefore, it should be just fine.

KG is a great tool for figuring that kind of thing out, by the way.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Yay! Lorax! :D I can't seem to find a place to purchase one. If you know of anywhere please let me know. 'hoya macgillivrayi pandanus' Thanks! <3

csvd87

Info from this aussie site/catalogue says it is endangered.. [url]https://www.bullockcreeknursery.com.au/catalogue.html[/url]

csvd87

Found lots for sale in AUS, and one person selling cuttings on garden web but that post was from 3 years ago, and currently there is a few for sale on eBay, 2 in the US. Here is the link to one of the ebay sales. [url]https://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-macgillivrayi-Stunning-Houseplant-Easy-Grow-/220652171422?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0[/url]

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thank You for the links :) hm I guess I'm still confused though.. I thought that within the "Hoya macgillivrayi" species were different sub species of Hoya macgillivrayi. Which all look different and have different scents and colors and characteristics to them. Which is why I specified Hoya macgillivrayi 'Pandanus creek'. But maybe they are all actually the same and just named differently because they are grown in different parts of Aus? :? The characteristic I'm looking for is the dark red almost black outlining some of them have. like the photo I posted above.

lorax
Greener Thumb

The 'Pandanus Creek' designation in your original descriptor is most likely a collection location. I label Aroids like that all the time - it's not a cultivar designation, but rather a way to recall where I got said plant from.

I'd be very leery of buying anything endangered via e-bay or other sources - CITES is a very serious organization and you absolutely do NOT want to be on their bad side. If you do go the e-bay route, make sure that the seller has all of the requisite phytosanitary and CITES-release papers.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanks Lorax for looking out for me :D Before you had mentioned it I had never even heard of CITES ;p Tis' good to know. How am I suppose to know if a species is for sure Endangered? For example, I have already purchased a few plants via the internet, Jade Vine, Puya B., Eurychone rothschildiana orchid and atm I am in the process of 'maybe' purchasing a hoya macgillivrayi 'pandanus creek' cutting. So far I have only known that all of them are rare but nobody has mentioned requesting a certificate for them.

Wondering how it would be possible to get on the bad side of CITES.. what would you have to do wrong to piss them off? :? Just curious so that I can stay on their good side. :D

lorax
Greener Thumb

To piss off CITES, import any species listed on the IUCN Redlist as Endangered or Critical, or any species listed in CITES I, II, or III as protected.

To find out if a species is endangered, the IUCN Redlist is the best tool, since it's the international standard listing of endangered or threatened species.

[url=https://www.cites.org/index.html]CITES[/url]
[url=https://www.iucnredlist.org/]IUCN Redlist[/url]

A cursory search tells me that Hoya is not CITES-protected, and that H. macgillavray isn't redlisted.

The next step would be to check the lists of the Australian government's agriculture (I'm guessing here) ministry to see if Australia restricts the sale of the plant.

As for your orchid, if you purchased it from a private citizen who purchased it somewhere, a paper-trail should exist for it proving that it's originally a tissue-cultured specimen. All wild-collected orchids are protected under the various CITES treaties, and if you want an example of the wrath that CITES can call down, they closed forever an entire large botanical garden because that garden was in receipt of an undeclared and unlabeled wild-collected Peruvian orchid that came in a properly-labeled and certified shipment of Aroids, which orchid the garden wasn't even aware of until CITES closed them down.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanx Lorax! You've helped so much with my overall decision of getting this plant and should have my cuttings here soon :D Now the next hurdle will be getting them to root! :lol: I actually ordered the cuttings from the same person who owns the plant in the first picture I posted in this topic :) Hopefully if I can get them to root I'll have hoyas just as beautiful as that of the one in the picture :D I've never owned a Hoya before so it should be interesting growing them :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”