z

Sempervivum

Hi.

I have been growing Sempervivum all summer in small plastic pots. The original plants are now fading away - and I think I'm right to assume that as annuals they are now spent forces?

But the baby plants have grown as offsets. What should I do to propagate the offsets? Some appar to have broken off the parent plants themselves. Can the others be snipped off and repotted? If I do this now, will they last through autumn and winter outside, or should they be brought in?

When is the right time to divide and propagate Sempervivums, and how best should it be done?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sempervivums die after they bloom. The offsets can be separated and potted up individually. If you remove the offset by cutting, place it in a dry place out of direct sun, so the cut end can dry ... called "callousing off" ... before you plant it. The best time to separate them would be in early fall.
Last edited by Kisal on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

z

Thanks!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”