Cerbiesmom

what kind of soil for a desert rose?

I had a desert rose years ago that did great in a sandy mixture. I bought one at home depot the other day, and it looks like it's in normal potting soil. A few of the leaves have yellowed and fallen off, but overall it looks good. So, my question is: which soil is right for this plant? I loved my last one, and was so upset when it got blown off our second story patio during a storm. I want to make sure I have this one for many years to come.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It could well be that the store repotted it in the wrong kind of soil. The staff at big-box type stores aren't exactly well-trained in plant care, nor do they necessarily care about the long-term survival of the plants. They just want them to live long enough for someone to buy them. I do buy plants from such places, but only after I carefully inspect them for insects and disease. I repot them as soon as I get them home, so I can also inspect the health of the roots. If the plant isn't root bound, I just repot it in the same container. I use the same soil if it's decent and right for the type of plant. Otherwise, I use fresh soil.

Desert Rose likes things dry, so you want a sandy, gritty potting mix that drains very fast. There are some good commercial brands available, designed especially for cacti and other succulents. Whitney Farms, and Nature's are two of the brands I currently have. I've found them both to be very good. :)

You might want to read through [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26739]this thread[/url]. Barnercora has a wonderful collection of Desert Rose plants, and has posted some very good information about their cultural requirements. :)

I like plants

Yes, a good succulent/cactus soil mix would be ideal for a Desert Rose. I have one and I baught it at a Hardware store. It is doing fine and flowering.

Just don't water too much. They can handle a few weeks without water. I water mine once a week. I've once let it dry out for 2 or 3 weeks because it has does anoying fruit flies. It was still fine.

Cerbiesmom

Allright, repotting is in order. Gotta find sandy soil mix. Such a handy group of gardeners on here.

barnercora

Just get the bag of play sand and add a generous amount to your store bought potting mix, works wonder :D .Sometimes I got them too dry where their is a gap between soil and the pot and still doing good.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”