Cromlech

Two new Cacti... One needs to be ID'd!

Hi everyone,

My mom went out and got me some more cacti. The House-leeks are still doing fine, and the pineapple as well.

House-leeks: watered again, two are still not doing well, and on one of the "bad" ones, it's offshoot died off today, came out clean with the end "pinched" to where it met the "mother".

Pineapple: Bottom leaves are dying off, and I trimmed off the dying tips... Pretty much expected. It gets watered every 2-4 days.

Anyways, this new cactus is... hard to ID. I went back to the website where they offer a large selection of Cacti (How I sort-of ID'd my House-Leek) and still did not find it there... One is a Notocactus-Magnificus, and this one, I have well... No idea. I can't even really place it in a catergory.

I'll upload a pic after this, I'm on a rather old machine, so I'm just posting this as an update in case the computer dies trying to "grab" the image, so to speak...

Expect an image soon!

Cromlech

Here's the image of the cactus:

[img]https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Sherab0/Mobile%20Uploads/0626101148.jpg[/img]

It had flowers glued to the top(REALLY fake florescent green) that I ulled off with tweezers and some scissors.. Any other ways to reduce or "fix" the damage done?

I like plants

No, as long as you remove those fake flowers. Almost all cacties come with these fake flowers. Always remove them with clean intruments.

Sorry, I am not able to indentify your catus. It looks nice thaugh.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Too many of the details are lost in the blurriness of the picture. As a wild guess, it might be a Teddy Bear cholla. I can't see the spines clearly enough to tell for sure, though.

GermanStar

I agree, it's certainly some type of Cholla. A clearer photo would help immeasurably.

Cromlech

GermanStar wrote:I agree, it's certainly some type of Cholla. A clearer photo would help immeasurably.
Hi everyone.

I now have a fast PC but kmy sister has an account with blocks on it - oddly, that even blocks Photobucket usage. This should be fixed soon. It's her PC and I guess she doesnt want ANY viruses or something.

It should be fixed rather soon, ideally. Then I will have a much clearer photo.

Cromlech

Here's the photo, I found a way around it. :)

Here's the cactus:
[img]https://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1931/cacti1.png[/img]

and I inspected my cactus and saw this... what is it?! I'm worried:
[img]https://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1984/cacti2.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think it's a Teddy Bear cholla. The spines are too sparse and too short. It might be a Cane cholla, but the new growth doesn't look right for that. :?

This is a Teddy Bear cholla

[img]https://www.getnet.net/~richarde/cactusstore/pic_Teddy_bear_cholla.JPG[/img]

Cromlech

Kisal wrote:I don't think it's a Teddy Bear cholla. The spines are too sparse and too short. It might be a Cane cholla, but the new growth doesn't look right for that. :?

This is a Teddy Bear cholla

[img]https://www.getnet.net/~richarde/cactusstore/pic_Teddy_bear_cholla.JPG[/img]
What are the white spots there? I'm worried about that... Erm, let me know if you find that! I'll look up some chollas...

EDIT: I went here, https://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Cylindropuntia.html and found nothing that looks like the cacti I have

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you mean those dryish looking white areas around some of the areolae? I wouldn't worry about them. They could be the result of minor mechanical damage, slight sun damage, or any number of things. As long as the skin in the white area isn't mushy, there shouldn't be any problem. :)

Cromlech

Kisal wrote:Do you mean those dryish looking white areas around some of the areolae? I wouldn't worry about them. They could be the result of minor mechanical damage, slight sun damage, or any number of things. As long as the skin in the white area isn't mushy, there shouldn't be any problem. :)
Thanks again Kisal.

What are some other genus/species that are possible for this plant? It was also found in those warehouse stores, just like my Sempervivium Arachnoide.

I don't mind looking at tons of pictures, but I don't think it's a cholla after what I've seen: but I may be wrong?
(anyone else, feel free to contribute)

If you need a better picture, let me know!

GermanStar

No, it's not a cholla. It's general structure is not cholla-like at all.

Cromlech

Any other hints as to what it might be?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think part of the problem might be that very young cacti, which are the little ones purchased in pots, often look quite unlike the mature plant. That's the same problem I was having when trying to ID my Opuntia subulata. :(

Just hang in there. I'm still looking for it when I have a spare minute, and other members probably are, too. It may take awhile, but someone will name it for you eventually. :)

Cromlech

Kisal wrote:I think part of the problem might be that very young cacti, which are the little ones purchased in pots, often look quite unlike the mature plant. That's the same problem I was having when trying to ID my Opuntia subulata. :(

Just hang in there. I'm still looking for it when I have a spare minute, and other members probably are, too. It may take awhile, but someone will name it for you eventually. :)
Thanks Kisal! This one seems to be doing fine, and all my other succulents are okay. Pineapples and Alkanet do not go well with me, apparently !

Cromlech

bumping! and here's a new, better pic:
https://tinypic.com/r/2lo0kld/7

Wlady

Is Cereus jamacaru monstruosus.

Cromlech

Wlady wrote:Is Cereus jamacaru monstruosus.
Thank you!!
Any more advice for taking care of thid plant?

my sempervivium have all passed away, but this guy is fine :(

Wlady

Give him lots of sun and watered when dry ground. The substrate must be permeable. He does not like wet soil. The most important to have full sun.

Good luck!

Cromlech

Wlady wrote:Give him lots of sun and watered when dry ground. The substrate must be permeable. He does not like wet soil. The most important to have full sun.

Good luck!
Perfect, thank you!

what about with Pennsylvania wwinter's voming up? leave the full sun til early summer?

Wlady

In winter, temperatures should be 45-59F, and until the spring do not water it. The rest does not need the sun. In the spring set it in the sun and start watering. If you do this will get you a cactus growing very well.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”