I like plants

Cactus care

Hi, I have many cactus at home. I just wanted to know what could I do to make them have new growth and make them flower?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Most cacti will only flower when they reach a certain age. The age will be different for each species. Some species also may be day-length sensitive and some may be temperature sensitive.

During the growing season, fertilize them with an appropriate cactus fertilizer. The one I use has an NPK of 2-7-7, which keeps the soil lean and on the alkaline side, and provides a bit of phosphorus to encourage flowering.

Beyond that, provide ideal lighting and correct watering, and when the plant is old enough, it will flower. :)

I like plants

Thankyou for the quick reply.

My cacties are watered once a week. During winter time I will start to water them once every two weeks. They are all exposed to direct sunlight on a window sill facing South.

Tomorrow I will get some cactus fertilizer.

Also, one of my cacties has some weird yellow spongy stuff under its pot. It looks like yellow wipping cream. I've tried to get rid of it by cleaning the pot with very hot water and soap and then repot the cactus with fresh soil. I also got a new undertray. But, it came back a week later. I don't know what to do.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Photo? I have no experience with anything like what you've described. I've never had anything grow under any of my indoor plant containers. Is it actually on the bottom of the pot? :?

I like plants

Yes, it is on the bottom. It is yellow. It is around the drainage holes of the pot.

I have never had this before. It is strange.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Is it hard or soft? It might be a mineral deposit from accumulated salts in the soil. Such deposits can often be stained a yellowish or brownish color.

If it's soft, it might be some kind of fungus, I guess. That could indicate too rich a soil, or too much moisture. Just a guess, since I haven't actually seen it.

GermanStar

I like plants wrote:Hi, I have many cactus at home. I just wanted to know what could I do to make them have new growth and make them flower?
Move to Arizona! :D

I like plants

Yes, I would love to move there. I've been there 2 times. It is really nice there.

I really love Giant Suguaro. They are so big and massive. I can't stop trying to grow some from seeds but, it isn't working. :( Maybe you could send me some cuttings!!!

@Kisal, the yellow stuff is kinda like a spieder web texture. It isn't hard.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have no idea what it might be. Could be a fungus, I suppose. I water my cacti about once a month in the summer, and every couple of months during the winter. I water them from the bottom, so the entire root ball and the pot all get well soaked.

I like plants

Well, at the greehouse they told me that a cactus can survive up to 10 days without water. I water mine once a week.

GermanStar

All cactus can survive much longer than 10 days without water. Some can survive for months, even years...

I like plants

Oh, I did not know that.

Do you have any tricks for me to know how to grow Giant Suguaro seeds? I am trying and nothing works.

GermanStar

Other than moving to AZ, I really don't have a clue. Saguaro cactus are very slow growing and difficult to propagate, that is why they are protected. I have four healthy Saguaros on my property and would need to apply for a permit to move even a small one from one spot on my property to another. Frankly, attempting to grow a 60' plant in a container just doesn't sound productive to me. There are lots of small succulents and cacti more deserving of your attention. Personally, I am fascinated by all manner of Euphorbia, and many make attractive and completely suitable houseplants.

I like plants

Can I put them in big pots to make them grow faster? Someone told me that. Mine are not growing. They are just living and I have them since around November-January.

I only have two that have grown a lot. They were started from cuttings.

GermanStar

Do you like this?

[img]https://www.cactusjungle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3622.jpg[/img][img]https://www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/6541.jpg[/img]

Both pics show the same plant, African Milk Tree (Euphorbia trigona). They love it indoors, and grow quickly to 4' - 6' tall, even in containers. Looks a lot like a cactus, doesn't it?

Honestly, I can't think of any cactus that thrive in containers like that, if you want a dramatic "sorta" cactus, pick one up, I have one in my front yard that's growing like a weed. It probably won't survive next winter. :(

I like plants

Yes, I like that.

I think we sell a few of them at the greenhouse where I work. Are they cactus or Succulents?

GermanStar

I like plants wrote:Yes, I like that.

I think we sell a few of them at the greenhouse where I work. Are they cactus or Succulents?
All cactus are succulents, but not all succulents are cactus. Euphorbia are succulents, but not cactus, though this particular Euphorbia looks like one.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”