Cromlech

Pineapple help!

Hi everyone,

I placed there here because the pineapple is bromeliad and part succulent. With that in mind, I am trying to grow a pineapple top from a grocery pineapple. Currently, I have the roots submerged in water, trying to "root" the crown so the roots get stronger.

I have left the scars heal for a few days before submerging, but sadly, the tops of the leaves are getting brown... and I don't know what to do. Do you think misting the leaves would help?

I'm just a bit worried has it's only been about a week....
(The only good news is when I tug on the inner leaves, they stay in place...)

Pictures are below:

[img]https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Sherab0/P6210809.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Sherab0/P6210812.jpg[/img]

I like plants

I would wait a little to see what happens. You can always buy a new pineapple.

I think you can just plant the thing in soil.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Remember that your plant doesn't have any roots yet. Without roots, the tops receive no nutrients or moisture. That's why the leaf tips will turn brown.

Just my personal opinion, but roots that grow in water (commonly referred to as "water roots") are different from roots that grow in soil. They tend to be a bit more brittle, and might not be able to absorb nutrients as well from the soil. Plants rooted in water and later transplanted into soil often suffer setbacks, or sometimes, fail altogether.

I don't know whether misting will help or not. My understanding is that the parent plant -- the one you're rooting -- will produce offsets, which you can pot up individually. The parent plant may end up looking quite bedraggled, and not so pleasing aesthetically. JMO. :)

Cromlech

Kisal wrote:Remember that your plant doesn't have any roots yet. Without roots, the tops receive no nutrients or moisture. That's why the leaf tips will turn brown.

Just my personal opinion, but roots that grow in water (commonly referred to as "water roots") are different from roots that grow in soil. They tend to be a bit more brittle, and might not be able to absorb nutrients as well from the soil. Plants rooted in water and later transplanted into soil often suffer setbacks, or sometimes, fail altogether.

I don't know whether misting will help or not. My understanding is that the parent plant -- the one you're rooting -- will produce offsets, which you can pot up individually. The parent plant may end up looking quite bedraggled, and not so pleasing aesthetically. JMO. :)
Yes, I made another thread in the fruits section as well. It's all potted up, which you can see here:

[img]https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Sherab0/P6210813.jpg[/img]

Anyways, I think you're right Kisal. I just hope the offshoots come up with time. I gave it two days in water before giving up on that, which started a little bit of root growth, and like I said, it had 3-4 days for the scars to heal... So, I really don't think anything too wrong can come up with it. Anyhow... I think all will go well. I'm keeping the soil moist.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'll be interested in seeing pictures as it progresses. :)

bluezephyr

I always thought they grew on trees until I was asked to stay on a pineapple farm :oops: .[img]https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs191.snc4/37911_406036726761_524656761_4461070_5924841_n.jpg[/img]

philm00x

I've always grown pineapples just this same way, cutting crowns off fruits and peeling off an inch or so of leaves off the bottom and sitting it in water to let it grow roots. except I don't just use plain ol' h2o. I use a water soluble plant food with a 15-30-15 npk blend in the water that I let it sit in. it allows the crown to absorb nutrients while the roots grow, evident in that the leaves don't turn brown at the tips like yours did. it only takes 1/4 teaspoon of plant food per gallon of water, so I'll mix it in a gallon-size pitcher, and change it out every few days as it gets cloudy.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'm with Philm00x - I start mine in weak fertilizer solution, the only difference being that I use 1/2 tsp of soluble seaweed extract in place of his 15-30-15, and a couple of drops of 10% hydrogen peroxide, then switch it out every 3-4 days. Mine root quite quickly and don't seem to suffer when I pot them up.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”