Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Indian Rope Hoya's look like they are dying

I have 3 Indian Rope Hoya's, about 8 inches tall. They loved where they were before we moved, the end of Feb. this year, in the new place they started turning brown and losing leaves. Finally I transplanted them. They were soaked! I had given them way too much water. I put them in purchased soil for cactus. But now they almost look worse. What's wrong??? I don't want to lose them, they are so hard to find here.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If the root rot was extensive before you discovered it, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. There's always a tiny possibility that enough of the roots remained healthy, so that some of the top growth will remain and be able to start some new shoots.

Those parts of the top growth that have lost their roots to rot will die. There's no way to prevent it. Be patient with it and wait. I would say that if it doesn't stop losing its top growth within a month and then show some new growth within another 4 to 6 weeks after that, the plant is probably a goner. Sorry! :(

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Had a really good look at them, after what you said. Thank You by the way!!! :) There is one that is actually starting to green up, the second is trying very hard. The third???? I don't know, that might be a goner, but I'm not giving up!!!!------------I water from the bottom, how often should I water them? Once a week? Just don't want to under water, or over water again!--- Can't believe I did that! Too many things on my mind with the move I guess? Here's hoping they All live, but looks more like 2. :cry:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I guess my first question has to be how are you growing them, I.e. are you letting them climb a trellis, or do you have them in a hanging basket?
Hoyas are plants of the tropical jungles. They need a growing medium that drains very rapidly. They store moisture in their tissues ... the stems and leaves, for the most part ... so they don't necessarily need to be watered every week. Allowing the growing medium to dry somewhat is healthy for them. But remember, too, that they aren't desert cacti. :)

The essential thing is to be certain that the containers have sufficient drainage holes, of course. Watering once a week might be a bit too much, but it shouldn't have left them as soaked as you described, especially using a cactus/succulent potting mix. Hanging baskets often don't have drainage holes, which is why I asked about that. The solution for that would be to use the hanging basket as a cache pot.

Watering from below is my favorite method. Be very sure to allow the pot to sit out of its drainage saucer or cache pot long enough to thoroughly drain all excess water. I usually wait an hour, sometimes longer.

I heft the pot in my hand after I've watered it. Make a mental note of how heavy it feels in your hand. When you think it might need to be watered again, heft the pot to see how the weight compares to what it was right after being watered. You'll soon be able to know, just by picking up the pot, when it's time to water. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I had just been growing them in the pots they came in, which weren't real big. I was told not to put them in too big a pot as they don't like too much room? I have to admit :oops: I had watered them from the top a few times, thinking they weren't getting enough from the bottom. That's when they got soaked. So I re-planted them in bigger pots with proper cactus soil. That's when I noticed they were just drenched! But after transplanting, and only watering from the bottom, once a week, or a little longer, 2 have started coming back. I am Thrilled!! :lol: The other one is pretty sad looking. But I'm just going to leave it and HOPE!!! :roll: Should I cut the dead leaves off? They aren't ready to fall off. I don't want to mess with them too much????? Thanks in advance! :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The advice not to move them to larger pots was right. I think "overpotting" is one of the most common mistakes made by people new to succulents. The more soil that's around the roots, the longer it stays wet, and that's exactly what succulents can't tolerate.

I wouldn't do anything about the leaves for now. Hoyas really don't like to be fiddled with too much. At least, that has been my experience with them. They will fall off in due time. The plant will look less than appealing for awhile, but if it survives, it will perk up eventually. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too! The Rope Hoya's are so hard to find! I just love them! Almost to death I guess. :oops:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well SADLY :cry: The 3 of them did die!!!, BUT on a happier note I actually found 3 more just this past weekend. I am SO excited. So I am going to apply ALL the things I learned from here, and you Kisal ( thanks so much) hopefully they will grow and do very well this time.--I do have one question though :?: Can they be trained to go on an indoor type trellis? If so what type? I don't want it to hang down. :?:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm very sorry you lost your original plants ( :( ), but happy that you found 3 new ones! :)
Green Mantis wrote:Can they be trained to go on an indoor type trellis? If so what type? I don't want it to hang down. :?:
Yes, they will climb on trellises, but you might have to tie the vine to the support. I haven't grown one on a trellis, so I don't know. One thing to consider about the trellis would be the plant outgrowing it. I have always found it difficult when I've had to remove a vine from a trellis in order to put it on a taller one.

I supported my hoya with a series of cup hooks that I put across the top of the window where the plant was located. It grew up one side of the window frame, across the top, and trailed down the other side. :lol:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”