Daniellenerik
Newly Registered

Jade Plant

Hello!

I have a beautiful jade plant in a pot that my friend gave me about a year ago. I would like to see it grow some, I am sure it is growing just very slow...Do I need to fertilize it, and if so with what???

I am new to gardening and plants and any help would be appreciated!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Jade plants do grow slowly. Has yours produced any new growth at all in the time you've had it? It might help to move the plant outdoors during the summer months, but don't put it in direct sunlight. Keep it in shade or dappled shade. Watch for mealybugs, too, as they really like Jades.

You could fertilize it every time you water it, during the summer, and maybe during the winter, as well, depending on where you are live. I use a liquid houseplant fertilizer mixed to half the strength recommended on the label. :)

ETA: I realized that I failed to mention that Jade plants are easily dwarfed if kept in small pots. Is yours by any chance root bound, or getting close to that situation? It might be time to move it to a larger pot. Just a thought. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Which do YOU consider a proper Jade plant? Some seem to have very small leaves, others the bigger ones? But the stores call them ALL jade plants?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

As far as I'm aware, they're all members of the genus Crassula. The primary species is known by several different scientific names: Crassula ovata, Crassula argentea, Crassula obliqua, Crassula portulacea, Crassula arborescens. There are multiple names because scientific nomenclature is currently undergoing many changes as a result of the study of DNA. There is no one 'authority' that decrees which name shall be used the world over.

In addition, there are many different 'types', if you will, usually referred to as 'varieties', 'hybrids', or 'cultivars', all of which mean basically the same thing. That is what gives us the great variation you see among individual plants, but they're still all commonly called Jade plants. It's the same sort of thing as the domestic dog. They're all classified as Canis lupus familiaris, whether Chihuahua or Great Dane. But there are many different breeds, all of which have unique traits. We still call them all 'dogs', though.

It's for this reason that I usually ask members to post a picture of their particular plant. The care of all Jade plants is pretty much the same, though, regardless of the particular hybrid involved. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kathy,
Which do YOU consider a proper Jade plant? Some seem to have very small leaves, others the bigger ones? But the stores call them ALL jade plants?
Perhaps you are seeing [url=https://www.azarboretum.org/plantlist/dwarfjade.htm]Portulacaria afra[/url] a very common houseplant that has the common name Baby Jade or Dwarf Jade.

This highlights the confusion that can occur when relying upon common names. Sometimes this is fine but on occasion it can lead to misidentification.

In this case there would be little harm done as the care for these is similar to Crassula. Free draining medium, relatively infrequent watering, although Portulacaria seem to tolerate being watered more frequently than actual Jades. Also, neither is able to withstand freezing temperatures and must be overwintered inside in cold areas.

Norm

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Nope, that's not it, I'll have to get a picture ( or get my grandson too, I don't know how to get the pictures up! :roll: ) then hopefully I will have a better idea. Thanks for the picture though. I have seen those, but this has bigger leaves. My I can try to find a picture in a book and then post the proper name. Never thought I would be learning latin at this age! :wink:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kathy,

Well then maybe it is just one of the different species or cultivars as Kisal originally suggested.

To post pictures see this thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”