I like plants

How to grow cacti seeds?

Hello everyone,

In December, I baught some Giant Suguaro seeds and other cacti seeds. I have planted them in soil but they all died. I have tried more than once. They germinated then for like 3 months they simply didn't grow and then ther died. It is rather strange. They are the only seeds that germinate. The other cacti seeds just don't germinate.

Last week I started a new set of Giant Suguaro seeds. They have germinated and are in a plastic strawberry pot. They are about 2 feet from a sunny window and I usually keep the soil moist. Is there anything else that is simple that I could do? I just want a Giant Suguaro cactus.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What medium are you using to start the seeds? You might want to look at this past discussion of how to start cacti from seeds:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112050

I like plants

I use normal potting soil since it retains moisture better. I've tried cactus mix potting soil but, it dries up too fast.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cactus mix is intended to drain rapidly and dry quickly. The Giant Saguaro is a desert cactus, and evolved to survive in very dry conditions. Desert cacti develop rot when they receive a lot of moisture and don't dry out quickly enough.

My guess is that you are losing your cacti to rot or some other fungus, because of overly damp conditions. JMO.

I like plants

Maybe, but I've tried with cacti soil a few times and they died too.
Would it be a good idea to put a piece of aluminum foil under the plastic tray too keep the seedlings warm?

bonsai-connor

When I grow my cactus seeds I grow them out of soil from my back yard. I live in Colorado so it's what the cactus are used to. it's like crushed up rock and sand so it drains easily.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

bonsai-connor wrote:When I grow my cactus seeds I grow them out of soil from my back yard. I live in Colorado so it's what the cactus are used to. it's like crushed up rock and sand so it drains easily.
Natural cactus mix, right from your own backyard! I love it! :D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Colorado and natural cacti soil? Doesn't sound right to me, wrong climate. You need desert soil, like Arizona, Texas, SoCal, etc.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The high desert in eastern Oregon has soil that would make a very nice cactus mix I'm sure Colorado must have similar areas. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”