Franco

I.D. and how to treat succulent and cactus

Hello again, I purchased this succulent, which I don't know the name of, at the store the other day and it's starting to shrivel. What plant is this and how does it like to be taken care of?

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/DaRealFranzy/100_4524.jpg[/img]

Also, this cactus is not doing very well, it is very flacid and I am afraid of giving it water. What can I do to it?

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/DaRealFranzy/100_4525.jpg[/img]

Thank you!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure which plant you're refering too in the first pic so I'll just address the second. It actually looks dried out. How dry is the soil? If it's bone dry, water it, if not then don't. The pic makes it look dry. If it's wet, then you definately need to repot it into drier soil. How much light do they get? That can also be a factor in it wiltering.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The purple plant is an Echeveria, possibly Echeveria gibbiflora 'Violescens'.

The plant beside it is Aloe barbadensis, commonly called Aloe Vera.

I'm not positive of the wilted looking one. If no one else IDs it beforehand, I will try to do so later today, when I get home. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The third plant is an epiphyte. I believe it is Rhipsalis. It may be the species monacantha, but I'm not sure of that, and I have no idea of the variety. There are many hybrids of Rhipsalis.

The stems are supposed to hang down as yours are doing, but they are not supposed to be wrinkled. The epiphytes grow on trees in the jungle. They are succulents, but are not desert cacti, so they need more water. If I were you, I would move it to its own container, because it will want more water than the Echeveria and the Aloe. Since it is a jungle plant, it won't do well with as much light as the Echeveria and Aloe will need, either. It will do best in its own container, where its needs can be properly met.

I like to water my plants by immersing the entire pot in water deep enough just to cover the rim. I leave them there until I no longer see air bubbles breaking the surface of the soil. Then I remove them from the water and place them in the sink, allowing them to drain for about an hour or so. This method ensures that the entire root ball gets moistened. If the soil feels dry, and the pot feels lightweight for its size, then it's time to water again. If the skin of the plant becomes slightly wrinkled, it is past due time to water the plant, but likely no great harm will have been done. I certainly wouldn't allow it to happen as a matter of routine, however.

HTH! :)

Franco

Thanks a lot guys

RosemarieRo

I realize this is a very ole post, but if you still have this plant (& still get notified of post responses), the 3rd plant is a Stapelia...likely Stapelia gigantea.

Franco

Thanks for posting on such an old topic. I'm afraid to say it's no longer alive, but I've replaced him with a really cool agave :P

RosemarieRo

I had a feeling that might be the case. Glad to hear you found another place you like! :cool:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”