Lavender Pebble
Newly Registered

Proper care for a Lavender Pebble Plant?

Hello everyone!
On Friday I went to a greenhouse and while I was looking around and saw a wierd looking plant in the back. The manager of the store said I could have it for free because he had been trying to grow it since last fall and it had grown an inch. He didn't know what it was, either- he only knew that it was a succulent from Home Depot. I brought it home, and after some research on the web I found out it was a Lavender Pebble, and that they were also rare (and is that true??) I just repotted it and it has more than enough room. But I have NO idea how to take care of it. How often should I water it? How often should I fertilize it? (et cetera, et cetera.) If someone could help me with that, I would greatly appreciate it.
Here are pictures if you need them- click to enlarge them. (and the reason he's in the side of the pot was because the pot he was originally in he had grown in the side, too, and his roots spread all around the soil he had grown in, so I didn't want to distrub him while I repotted him. Sorry if that's confusing!)

[url=https://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/CavyLove/?action=view&current=PebblePlant004.jpg][img]https://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/CavyLove/th_PebblePlant004.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/CavyLove/?action=view&current=PebblePlant002.jpg][img]https://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt78/CavyLove/th_PebblePlant002.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The scientific name for your plant is Graptopetalum amethystinum. I wasn't able to find any official classification of the plant as being rare ... which doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't, of course.

The plant is native to Mexico, and needs moderate moisure. In other words, it isn't a desert cactus, so don't keep it too dry. Do keep it dryer during the winter months. I believe I read that it won't grow to be more than 6" tall.

These plants are sometimes classified as Crassulaceae, so you might want to research that genus, also.

IMO, the pot looks a bit too large for it. I can't be certain, not having seen it in its original container. Sometimes, a too-large pot can make it difficult to keep the soil properly moist. The soil in the upper third of the pot will be too dry for the roots, while the soil in the lower 2/3 of the pot will be very moist. Such conditions can cause one to overwater the plant, leading to root rot. You made a good choice in opting to use an unglazed clay pot for your plant. :)

Lavender Pebble
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. The pot he (or it) was originally in was about 4 1/2 inches length and width. I'll get him a smaller pot next week- or will that be too late?) And I'll be watering every 1 to 2 weeks and fertilize once a month. And also, Since I've gotten him, 2 leaves (not rotten, they looked like all the other leaves) have fallen off, and one is in the process of falling off. They're normal looking, they're pink and purple and green colored like the other leaves. All the leaves that have been falling off hav been in the back. Not enough sun maybe? Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You will want to turn the plant 1/4 turn daily, so that all sides get sufficient sunlight.

If the leaves that fall off are firm and in good shape, set them away out of direct sunlight for awhile ... maybe about 12 to 24 hours ... until the end that was attached to the plant is dried a bit. Then plant that end into some moist potting mix or moist sand. Each leaf should sprout roots and become a whole new plant for you. They'll make great gifts for your friends! :)

During the winter months, when the plant is dormant, you will want to water a bit less often. Don't let the soil dry out completely, of course, but water maybe every 3 weeks, instead of every 2 weeks. Just pay attention to how the plant is doing. More succulents die from too much water than from too little. :wink:

Lavender Pebble
Newly Registered

Alright, I will do that! Thanks so much for the info! :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”