JB Goode

Aloe plants--Fertilizer

Hi

I'd like to get some advice concerning the type of fertilizer that's used for aloe plants. I'm a fan of them and besides the one I already have, I purchased 4 more. I notice that fertilizer is mentioned on this board quite often concerning aloe but I have no idea what kind to use and how much to use.

My wife has Miraclegro and Miracid but she's always used those products for other things that aren't related to Cacti/succulents. As a matter of fact, when she did use these things in the past it was for outdoor use. I have no idea if they serve any purpose here and I have no idea whether they'll hurt the plants. I don't know percentages. So, if anyone can help me with this situation, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks very much
Dave

Gone_Tropical

Dave, I want to say MiracleGrow is way too strong. if feel you must use it, I'd dilute it 3 times.
If you have the feeling your aloes need fertilizer, what are the signs you are seeing? maybe a re-potting in good potting mix would be enough....

[img]https://myrtleglen.com/gardenweb/girldunnosmiley.gif[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Dave, you definitely don't want to use the Miracid. That's for plants that like an acidic soil. Aloes prefer a neutral soil.

Didn't you just repot your aloe a few months ago? Or is this a different plant you're referring to?

Aloes are native to the desert, so they don't need much in the way of fertilizer. A little bonemeal each spring might be all it needs, if that. :)

old-n
Newly Registered

I was aways told to use tomato fertilizer. on all my Cacti and Succulents.

I have been doing this now for a number of years with no problems

Delilah
Cool Member

Up the back of our garden we have the most horrible soil that almost nothing will grow in - heavy, dry, solid clay, sitting atop sandstone. Virtually no top soil. The one thing that grows beautifully there? ALOE. We have stunning Aloe vera plants!

No fertilizer except occasional Cockatoo poo. Long hours of 65% strong sun / 35% shade.

JB Goode

1---Yes, I did repot the aloes and am presently growing a tiny pup from one of those aloes which is in a separate little pot which is filling out nicely and
2---No, I didn't use any plant food on any of them ( not on aloes--not on some small cacti--not on that pup and the pics those 2 green cuttings of that plant I posted about 2/3 mts ago.) I don't know if you remember.
As far as the plant food, I was only trying to get more information concerning the difference in *plant food* and *fertilizer*. Many people use both words here. I wanted to find out what applied to what. It's my way of gaining some knowledge about different areas of growing and cultivating if there is such a thing. I had posted that question about what the differences were about 2 other times a while back and no one responded until now.
Thanks for your concern and information
Dave

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I haven't checked my dictionaries, so there might be some subtle or technical difference in meaning between the two words. I use them interchangeably, myself.

I guess it's somewhat like the question of whether the stuff in which plants grow should be called "soil" or "dirt." There's a thread about that somewhere on the forum. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”