GardenGeek
Cool Member

Me set of questions about Cactus

please answer my few questions about the cactus which I am recently growing

1) Can it be in direct sunlight during the summer, fall, spring and fall?
2)when it should be watered and how much it needs??

3)Is there any specific soil for cactus in which it grows great?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What kind of cactus do you have? If it's a desert cactus, then it will need a gritty, sandy, somewhat alkaline soil that contains little organic material. There are commercial mixes you can buy, which is what I do. You can mix your own, if you wish, and I'm sure there are recipes available online. (I used to make my own cactus mix years ago, but haven't done so for years.)

Most true cacti like full sun at all times. If your plants have been growing indoors, though, do not just suddenly move them into full sun outdoors. Even cacti have to be slowly acclimated to full outdoor sun over a period of a few weeks.

Most cacti will do fine if watered about every 3 to 4 weeks. They may need more water during very hot weather. Frequency of watering may vary depending on the material the container is made of. Plants in porous clay containers will need more water than those in containers of plastic or glazed ceramic. Make sure the root ball gets well soaked when you do water, though. I like to water from the bottom, because when dealing with dry soils such as those in which cacti grow, water poured on the soil surface will sometimes take the path of least resistance. It will just run down between the root ball and the wall of the pot. You think you have watered well, because the water runs out the drainage holes, but in fact, the center of the root ball has received no water at all.

Not all cacti are the same, however. There are other members of the cactus family that require different treatment, more like one would treat a succulent. It would be helpful if you were to post a picture of your plant. :)

JB Goode

I too have recently taken the same advice of Kasal except that the plant was a succulent that was in extremely bad shape due to ignorance on my part. I changed the type of pot I was using, useda smaller pot, changed to the proper soil and repositioned this plant with the roots being much deeper in the new pot so that it wouldn't sway, completely removed an *pup* --1/2 inch tall, which is the word used, repotted the pup and believe it or not, I saw an obvious difference in the plant and the pup which amazed me.
Basically, I had written this plant off. This particular plant had leaves that 2 yrs ago completely closed up giving each a funnel shape. I also went out and purchased clay pots to get a more accurate measurement of water in these pots.
Believe it or not, those funnel shaped leaves have actually started to open up again. That was something I never thought would happen. I don't even think Kasal did either.
The pup? I put it in a tiny pot. Well, instead of dying after being removed from the big plant it's now starting to swell from the watering. It's color has also darkened. It now has another leaf growing on it.
Even Kisal would be surprised if he saw the plant and the pup again ( he's already seen what they looked like before).
So, try out his advice about what he's saying concerning those cacti. I've got a strong feeling that you'll have success.
Last edited by JB Goode on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a huge tub of cactus outside. They have been outside for years.

It has had issues...

First the roof blew off our porch, landed right on the cactus...
broke off alot of the pads, so I simply laid the pads on the ground, and they have rooted and set up new stem.

Then last summer, I noticed holes in the pads... I have no idea if this is still from the roof hitting it... This is new growth, but could the growing area have suffered injury?

Just the other day, I looked at it, the whole top part is bent over, like it is tying its shoes...

Is this plant hopeless, should I just save all the leaves (pads) that I can and let it live or die, as best it can? It is the kind that you can eat the pads, I don't know the name... prickly pears would grow on it.

The base that goes into the soil is larger than a man's fist... it is large. But it is so sad looking...

Well, I wouldn't look great if a roof blew on me either...

This photo, if it displays was last fall.

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/lunapic-125386624976577cactusb.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ozark Lady, Prickly Pear is a member of the Opuntia genus of cacti. I think your plant will survive. Opuntia are pretty tough, and are considered to be weeds in many areas.

Do you have slugs or snails in your area? They caused similar damage to some of my cacti one year, when I put the plants outdoors for the summer. I thought the spines would protect the cacti, but the slugs and smaller snails just moved between them, chowing down on my poor cacti. :(

The holes in the pad(s) might have been caused by the roof landing on the plant, but the damage probably would have been visible at the time. Is it just that one pad that is affected, or is all the new growth like that?

JB Goode, I'm so happy to hear about the improvement in your aloe, and that the little pup is thriving! :D :clap: :-()

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”