my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Aloe in a container?

I don't even know if I can grow aloe in Iowa (zone 5) but I would like to grow some in a container. Is that a feasible idea? I have sunny and shady spots to grow.

Grey
Greener Thumb

You'll want a hot, dry, sunny spot. It's still a cactus - so well-drained soil is a great thing for them.

You'll want to take it indoors before your first frost hits - so long as you have a good sunny spot in your home in the winter time, and can keep a grow-light on it to give it a little extra UV, you'll have the plant for a long time. :)

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Thanks Grey!!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Growing Aloe in a container is the only way it is grown up here, and usually as a houseplant. Aloe (of which there are literally hundreds of varieties, and I don't know which one you have) is actually a succulent, not cactus, and belongs to the Asphodelaceae Family.
Grey is right, you should bring it in before any threat of frost, and a good sunny south window is all it needs. It takes a little more water than a cactus because it is a succulent. Very easy to care for plant. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Even though I usually recommend against growing plants indoors, generally speaking around here, everyone grows their alloe inside and they tend to do quite well. Iowa being more centrally located than British Columbia would have a drier climate than here. Though, the principle is still sound.

Good luck!
Last edited by opabinia51 on Tue May 16, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Even though the GardenWeb is flooded with adverizements it still has good information.

Newt
Greener Thumb

GW sure has changed since it was taken over by IVillage. I don't get pop ups with my blocker, but I agree the ads sure are a pain!! I only use it as a resource any more. I find the ads too annoying and don't like the fact that there's no way to get e-mail notification when someone responds to a thread unless you are the original poster.

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I don't like all the pop ups that are there now but, once and a while I still go over for the information and the seed trade forums.

Grey
Greener Thumb

grandpasrose wrote: Aloe... is actually a succulent, not cactus, and belongs to the Asphodelaceae Family.
Val

:oops: :oops: :oops:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Why did you post this Val? Is the statement incorrect?

Grey
Greener Thumb

She was correcting me for calling Aloe a cactus. :oops:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a big deal, they are related! :D

Val

cottongin

Excellent info! I have always wondered about growing aloe indoors. I've ben told fresh aloe is awesome for sunburns, better than store-bought jelled versions.

revclaus
Newly Registered

I buy things occasionally from Miracle of Ale, and the last two orders they've sent along free aloe plants. I now have four of them potted up and they're inside under my grow lights doing just fine.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, one of my grandmothers used to keep a large aloe plant atop her refriderator just in case she burned herself while cooking. Came in handy when she was canning. :shock:

They seem to do quite well inside, in fact, this is the only place I've ever seen them around here.

Gardena

I have small aloe in container. new shoots keeps coming out, but outer leaves keep turnning to brown and shrubbled up and dies.
So my aloe is alive but never become larger it seems ><
Too much water maybe?

Ninelives

We have two aloe plants one inside and one outside, the one outside has a bloom on it I have never seen one do this before. Interesting

[img]https://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/ninelives_9/Garden%202009/DSCN0060Small.jpg[/img]

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”