Reflection
Newly Registered

Aloe help - would like to grow straight

I've had this Alow plant for 3-4 years and even though I'm just glad it's still living I would like it to grow straight up with the leaves falling over the pot from the center but it seems to want to curve and I'm afraid it's just going to break off or fall over from the strain it's putting on the root. I tried rotating the pot but that didn't seem to make much difference so tonight I gently put some support under the stem hoping it will encourage it to start growing straight and that I can just gradually increase the size of my supports. Do you think that will work? Here are some pics of my plant:

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PrivateJoy/plants/Photo_010310_004.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PrivateJoy/plants/Photo_010310_003.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PrivateJoy/plants/Photo_010310_002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/PrivateJoy/plants/Photo_010310_001.jpg[/img]

I live in an apt. in NYC so I just used what I had around the house to prop it up, a broken up pair of chopsticks from take-out and the cover for an empty vitamin bottle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I was thinking of cutting it somewhere along the heavier part of the stem and replanting it but then I read somewhere that you need to divide the root bulb to propagate it so I'm at a loss.

J10126

Hey, it looks as though it's reaching out for something..

Now, I'm a Bonsai type of guy, but my mother has a huge aloe in her backyard.
I know from growing a Jade in the windowsill that its leave grow towards the window because it's trying to get as much light as possible.
It looks as though you have it growing indoors.

Now someone correct me if I may be wrong, but most species of Aloe originate in the wild of Africa and South Africa where it is hot. Hence them being succulents, able to store water. This means that they would prefer somewhere that can provide them with plenty of light.

Now it's winter where you are, so putting it outside isn't advisable (because of water stored within it can freeze) bit it may need sunlight from above for it to grow towards it.

As you said, you don't want to break it or force it, but it looks as though it's really far along to be trained without pruning... and I have no idea on how to prune it. haha

Another thing... do you know precisely what species of Aloe it is?
Aloe Vera is the most well known, but others also exist.
My Mum's is an Aloe arborescens, which grows completely different, almost tree-like

It could be that this plant isn't designed to grow straight up naturally.

Please don't hold me to any of this. I'm just putting my thought out there to share.
I will also gladly take any advice from others.

P.S. I admire my Mum's plant and took a sucker that was growing off of it and am currently trying to root it. It's still green after over a week, so I'm hoping it's working.

Reflection
Newly Registered

Thanks for trying to help! Yeah it's inside very close to the window (those are my window blinds in the background). I turned it that way thinking it would force it to grow back towards the light but no such luck. I have no idea what species it is but I do know it is possible to grow more center with the leaves sort of folding down over the pot b/c I've seen it like that in stores. Maybe I'll put it right next to the window and see what happens. They face south so that should be more than enough light.

Another question: mine has never grown any "babies" is that b/c the pot is so small?

I found on-line a pic on-line of a plant that seems to be in the same species growing relatively upright:

[img]https://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//2000/800/80/4/102884.jpg[/img]

J10126

Well, I'm not really the person to ask, as I don't have experience with growing aloe. But the correct term is "pups"

This may help, or may not. But it's still worth a look.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17802&highlight=aloe+pup

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

It's definately reaching for light, and could use a good trim. I'd stake it up, slowly getting bigger while keeping it faced away from the window. It'll gradually move, but you gotta remember that succulents are SLOW growing. My mom had to help her Aloe from leanign over. She staked it up, getting higher once a week, and trimmed some of the leaves off. Took 3 months to straighten back out, and she now rotates it weekly. If you keep a succulent in a small pot it will forever stay small, but it can still overgrow some, so a trimmimng here and there is good for it. Trimming can also help it produce pups, but I'd look up a good guide for trimming. I can't explain it very well.

Oh yeah, Aloe will never thrive inside either. They do require alot of sun, and will need a secondary light source inside.

J10126

Thanks a0c8c. You made me feel not so completely useless haha. :)
I guess I was pretty close to being right, even though I wasn't sure.

Reflection
Newly Registered

a0c8c wrote:It's definately reaching for light, and could use a good trim. I'd stake it up, slowly getting bigger while keeping it faced away from the window. It'll gradually move, but you gotta remember that succulents are SLOW growing. My mom had to help her Aloe from leanign over. She staked it up, getting higher once a week, and trimmed some of the leaves off. Took 3 months to straighten back out, and she now rotates it weekly. If you keep a succulent in a small pot it will forever stay small, but it can still overgrow some, so a trimmimng here and there is good for it. Trimming can also help it produce pups, but I'd look up a good guide for trimming. I can't explain it very well.

Oh yeah, Aloe will never thrive inside either. They do require alot of sun, and will need a secondary light source inside.
Thanks for your help! I don't know why it's "reaching" towards the wall light for light when it's so close to the window and I open the shades every morning. *shrug* I'm going to put it right in the window which should be enough light since my windows face south. I don't think I need a secondary light source since I have seen this type of aloe grown straight by just being the window. I'll trim it once I find a good guide and will increase the height of the supports every week. Thanks again!

Reflection
Newly Registered

J10126 wrote:Well, I'm not really the person to ask, as I don't have experience with growing aloe. But the correct term is "pups"

This may help, or may not. But it's still worth a look.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17802&highlight=aloe+pup
Thanks for the info.!

serial_killer

You could try replanting it and building the soil a lot farther up the stalk. It is a technique called air-layering. I don't have much experience with this plant, my one aloe plant is only about 8" tall, but this method worked well for me.

With some plants, herbs especially, I like to let them stretch then when I plant them in their final pot I bury it all the way up to the first set of leaves. Roots will eventually form from the stalk and help support and feed the plant.

You could even scar the stalk a little before you buried it more then treat it with rooting hormone to encourage the new root growth.

When I did it to mine I had it staked as well but I recently removed the support and it is standing strong on its own. I think the extra roots this causes also encouraged pup production, just within the past week or so I had one pop up and its a very young plant its self.

Hammertime
Newly Registered

you may try to fasten your aloe to a stick while it's not very big. I almost sure it will straighten up

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”