wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Are they doomed?

I have a nice selection of Hobbit crassula, aloes, sanseveria, and other common cacti (non-barrel types), that have been happily growing on the stationary part of an east-facing sliding patio door. Of necessity I had the doorwall replaced and against my express wish, they put in one with low-e glass. I notice the difference in light and so do my poor plants. Growth has nearly stopped, even with the shamrocks and dracenea; the 4' croton is dropping all its leaves, also. I have one small south-facing sill that already has the rest of my cacti on it, the west facing sills have awnings, and no other east-facing sills without shade. Short of replacing the doorwall (again), which I cannot afford, is there any hope? I have severly cut back the watering (they're cacti and succulents, they didn't get much anyway) to almost nothing and except for the croton, seem to be surviving.

Any other suggestions?

This is why I'm going bald...
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it were I, and I had specifically told them not to use low-e glass, I'd make them come and change it. I wouldn't pay them until they made it right. But I'm stubborn that way. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truth is, the plants may adapt with time. I doubt they'll ever really do what could be called "well," but most of them will probably survive ... at least for awhile.

Is there another window with better light that they could be moved to? Perhaps you could put some other types of plants by the sliding door?

Sorry to hear that happened. I really enjoy my cacti, and would hate to lose them to a situation like that. :(
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Make them replace the glass, you shouldn't stand for it. In the mean time, a cheap light will help them not suffer as much.
Home Gardener from Austin, TX; by way of Iowa.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately, no other windows have either as much square footage, exposure, or availability. The picture window at the front is shaded by a porch cover and silver maple; the cats would take care of any other windowsill. The "dry guys" are on a wire baker's rack and after the first couple of nose pokes, have been left alone by said felines.

And since I didn't take my own advice about getting EVERYTHING IN WRITING, the specification for regular tempered, non-low-e glass was only verbal and I am stuck. (fill in favourite curse words here, many)

Anybody want to adopt some cacti or succulents?

Isn't the low-e a coating on the glass? Can't it be removed with a nice harsh cleaner? I suppose it's between, on the inside, where I can't get to it. Oh yeah, they do have to come out and give me a decent screen that fits the frame, and doesn't let the bugs in...

This is why I'm going bald.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Don't be too sure you're out of luck, just because it wasn't in writing. Verbal agreements are legally binding in a lot of states. I successfully fought similar disputes with Qwest telephone, and also with the company that installed my in-ground irrigation system a couple of months ago. I had no "witnesses" in either instance to support my claim about what I had told the company employees. If you don't try, you'll never know. :wink:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, Kisal. We'll see...
Happy Gardening,
Wing

joshbuchan

the low-e coating is on the inside, if u get a flat head screwdriver a pull of the plastic around the window the sheat of glass will just fall out into your hand (do catch it) then u can use a realy harsh cleaner to basicly crode it of. then just put it back in but make sure its clean 1st ^^ dnt want a foreva dirty window. hope this help, i worked in wiring conservitry and watched them be biuld and the windows go in so i know its done.
25 Chickens ^^
Zone 9

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”