Bear in the garden

Bromeliad in bloom

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't find a forum on Bromeliads. my Aechmea gamosepala Match stick bloomed for the first time this fall and now I have a new bud way down deep in the cup growing.

Bear

[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/GardenBear1/matchstickbrom09.jpg[/img]
My Mother is earth, my Father is the sun, My sister is the wind, I'm Bear the keeper of the caves

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

That's beautiful. Congrats! I haven't had much luck with Bromeliads; it's been quite a few years since I've had one though.
~ Julie

Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well... Emerson

Bear in the garden

Thanks, I think its beautiful too, this is the only Bromeliad I've had any luck growing and not killing off in the first 6 month, right now I'm trying to grow some from seed, with any luck I'll have baby Bromeliad soon.

Bear
My Mother is earth, my Father is the sun, My sister is the wind, I'm Bear the keeper of the caves

applestar
Mod

Wow, that's really pretty! Only kind of bromeliad I'm growing at the moment is two varieties of pineapples that I'm growing from store bought pineapple tops. One was started around last Christmas, sulked all winter, then put out 3 pups, that I'm planning to pot up in individual pots in spring. The other was started early summer or so and hasn't done anything significant yet.

What would you say are the key when caring for bromeliads?

Bear in the garden

applestar, I'm not really sure what the key word for growing bromeliads, in my case its part luck and part keeping water in the cup plus keeping the soil in the pot damp, if you grow them in pots, I was told not to feed them alot so I feed mine 3 times a year and it seems to help keep them happy and growing. I do grow a few earthstars ( Crytanthus ) there in the bromeliad family, but grow on the ground and have great luck with them maybe some one will come along and help with growing them. as of this morning I have 2 tiny Bromeliads seedling :D now I'm hoping for more , I guess I better learn more on growing them.

Bear

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”