FMDio
Newly Registered

Help Identifying Aloe?

I recently rescued a poor, overwatered aloe plant from my parents' house. :wink: I'm trying to take care of it, and I'm told it's easy, but I'm a little nervous, as I know nothing about these.
In any case, this is scarcely the point of this post. I have looked through several sources online, and I am still unsure as to what species of aloe this is. If anyone could help me out with this I would be very grateful. I admit it's mostly because I'm curious, but I've been thinking about it considerably.
The stalk + the upward spikey leafy thingy measures at 23cm from the top of the soil. The colour is a pale green, with dense whitish spotting all over the leaves. The spots are fairly concentrated at the base of the leaves (are they actually leaves, or is there a different word I should be using?) and diffuse to almost none at the very tips. It's also notable that the collections of spots lend the leaf a vaguely green/white striped pattern. The leaves themselves seem more rolled than most aloe plants I've seen. That is, the edges roll towards one another very dramatically. The leaves' edges are lined with spines less than a millimeter in length, and which seem to manifest in clumps of two (though sometimes just one), with less than half a centimeter between clumps.
I don't believe this plant is very old. My mother acquired it less than a year ago, and I believe she said it was a baby. :P Hopefully this is helpful... I don't have a digital camera, but if pictures are necessary I can probably borrow one.

Thanks very much!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Pictures are always useful, and in many cases critical, when trying to ID a plant.

Your plant, however, is commonly known as Aloe vera, and sometimes Aloe vera 'vera'. I have read that some authorities believe it to be the same species as Aloe massawana. You would be safe just calling it Aloe vera, and providing the care commonly recommended for that species

Aloe vera likes lots of sunlight, the more the better, and prefers to be outdoors. It will survive quite nicely indoors with much less light, however, but it isn't a plant you can put in a dark corner and expect to have it do well. Do not move your plant into strong direct sunlight if it has been kept in a dark corner, however. Increase the amount of sunlight it gets slowly, day by day, over a period of 2 or 3 weeks. Otherwise, it can be sunburned.

It will grow best in a soil that is mostly sand and grit, with just a small amount of organic material. Such a soil will provide good drainage, as long as the container has drainage holes in the bottom. That is a necessity with almost all plants, but especially with cacti and succulents.

Aloes prefer to go quite awhile between waterings, and when you do water, water it very thoroughly. In fact, most of the time when you water, it would like to be placed in water just over the rim of the pot and allowed to soak until no more air bubbles break the surface. It's good to water from the top from time to time, as well, especially if you thoroughly flush the soil with water, so that the water runs freely from the drainage holes. This helps prevent salts from building up in the soil. Be sure to allow all excess moisture to drain away.

FMDio
Newly Registered

Okay, so it's aloe vera. That is, of course, the variety I hear about the most. Thank you for the help. I wasn't entirely sure, and I like to know as much as I can about everything. :D
Pardon the lack of pictures, please. I am a stubborn 35mm advocate, and I have yet to purchase a digital camera. My wife has one somewhere, I imagine, now that I think about it, but I'll have a hard time finding anything right now. :P
Thanks again!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”