thisbattymom

Aloe Plant sick...

... is it OK and what can I do to help it?
:? [img]https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/thisbattymom/95da75b9.jpg[/img]

Grey
Greener Thumb

How much sun are they getting?
These are pretty tough plants - they can handle full sun and somehow grew well in mostly shade for my dad in south Florida.

How often do you water, and how much? Also - how much sand is in your dirt for them? They are technically a cactus and resent wet feet.

EDIT - I see you are in Alabama - seeing as how you might be in the same zone I am, you probably overwintered these guys indoors? Not a bad thing. They should bounce back soon. Warm weather is just around the corner. :)

thisbattymom

Yes, I just moved them outside about 2 weeks ago when the weather turned "warm" (IE past frost). I use fish tank water every other day in the summer but only once a week in the winter. I bought offbrand potting soil that turned out to be largely sand & twigs :evil: ... but the cacti are thriving in it. They all more than doubled their size last yr! That aloe was wilted dehydrated and root bound when I bought it last spring (for .50 clearance @ walmart) and it produced the tiny one between them midsummer. My best plant success so far. That's why it looking so bad bothers me.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That soil looks really poor to me. That could also be the culprit. I would recommend buying a sterlized (indoor) potting soil and adding some compost to the soil. You can buy compost at most nurseries.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”