Kurite
Cool Member

My aloe vera might be in trouble

Hi I just recently re potted my aloe vera plant and I have not watered it for two days because I read your suppose to let it get used to its new pot before you water and I have been getting it direct sunlight because I read its good for the plant but its turning a dark green in some places and in those dark green places its getting mushy. What do I do???
Thanks

[img]https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/Kurite/IMG_2248.jpg[/img]

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Please water ASAP. :shock:

I hope you have by now as I see you posted a few days ago.

Whenever you repot a plant, watering is the final step. Let us know how it's doing... :wink:

Kurite
Cool Member

Hi the green streak has gone away but I'm still worried about it. It is a little bit softer than usual and its more pale. What does this mean?
thanks for the reply

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Did you water? ...and if so how much? Is the soil damp, moist, soggy? Do you have it in the same location as before it was repotted?

Maybe some more pics..? :D Some more info will be helpful in diagnosing what could be going on with your plant.

However, overall after a plant is repotted, it does go through a little 'transplant shock'. This is normal but we want to ensure that it will settle in to it's new pot.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. :wink:

Kurite
Cool Member

Hi thanks for replying so quickly I posted both picks just to give you an idea of what it did look like. Pic 1 is now, pick 2 was when it was healthy. The coloring of the pics are accurate.

[img]https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/Kurite/IMG_2250.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/Kurite/IMG_2238.jpg[/img]

I didn't water if for the first few days because I read that once an aloe is re-potted you are suppose to allow it to get use to its new pot for a couple of days before watering it. When I did water it (3-4 days ago) I soaked it until water came out from the bottom and I let it drain. The soil is still very moist. The soil is the miracle grow cactus soil. I recently let it get some direct sun because its suppose to be good for it but its next to the window for most of the day just like it has been for the last 1 and 1/2 years. The soil is still very moist. Also one of the leaves are broken and I have been holding it up with a stick (I thought it might be able to recover). Can it or just cut it of?
thanks again

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Thanks for posting both pics.

I suspect you may have repotted it prematurely and it may be in too large of a pot for the root system. The leaves are large in pic 2 so I understand why you wanted to repot it but I don't think it was ready. But cannot say for sure since I don't know what the root structure was... :roll:

The other issue that may be affecting the health of your plant is lack of sun. It appears you have it indoors so maybe it is not getting enought light...?

[url=https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Aloe_Vera_Plants]This is an excerpt from a website[/url]: "The plants like a very well drained potting mix, containing sand, perlite, pumice or sharp grit. Indoors, place your plant in bright light. If you would like to move it outdoors in the summer months, do so gradually, placing it at first in dappled light. Remember that Aloe cannot stand any frost, and help your plant readjust to indoor conditions by bringing it inside before nights get cool in autumn. Outdoors, Aloe can grown in full sun to partial shade."

Same website regarding watering: "The most common issue with care is watering. Like most succulent plants, they have limited water requirements. Allow soil to dry completely between waterings, then drench pot so that water runs out the drainage holes in the bottom into a saucer, and drain. In the winter months plants take up less moisture, so be especially careful not to over water."

I hope this helps. I think it's due for another good soaking. Water the pot until the soil is visually wet as well as drains out the bottom. Also, ensure bright light but NOT direct sun (maybe filtered sun) if you want to put it outside.

Keep us posted. :wink:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”