kdf_03

Orange Cactus Fungus?

One of my roommates has these 3 cacti which he doesn't really take care of. It appears that one is dying. However, of greater concern to me is that there seems to be this thin layer of orange stuff (I apologize that it is hard to see in the picture) covering the soil on all three of his little cacti. Is this a fungus? Will it spread to my succulents? If so how can I prevent it?

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3429/3793038046_5862d45961_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3485/3793038052_7804dc330a_o.jpg[/img]

kdf_03

:cry:
Last edited by kdf_03 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think it's a fungus. It might be some kind of salts that have accumulated over time from the local water supply or from the soil the cactus is in. If you like, you can use a spoon to gently remove it, and then add a thin topping of a little fresh cactus mix.

The dried spots on the cactus in the first picture don't necessarily signal it's death. They might be the result of an overlong period without water, or they might be heat or sun damage from leaving the plant in a west or south facing window on a very hot day. I'm just guessing there, of course.

If you wish, the injured plant can be cut off above the damaged area, allowed to lie in a dry area out of direct sun until the cut ends callus off, and then replanted. The original plant should sprout pups for you, which can be left on the parent plant, or potted up individually. (I generally leave my cacti alone, unless the damage is extremely unsightly. You don't find many 'perfect' cacti out in the desert. ;) )

Remember that cacti prefer to be dry when repotted, so unlike other plants, you don't want to water them before or right after moving them to a new pot. :)

kdf_03

Thank you for your help :D . As I said, its not MY cactus, I just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't spread. I will pass your advice along. Once again thank you.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

In order for it to be a fungus, the soil would have to be very rich and pretty consistently moist. The cactus looks too healthy for that to be the case, so I'm fairly certain that it's just salts, which often pick up brownish/reddish stains. Nothing contagious to other plants, but not exactly great for the cactus, either. If enough accumulated, it could burn the roots of the plant.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”