Kurite
Cool Member

Why wont my aloe vera plant produce pups

I know its not in great condition and the pot is way to small (I'm going to re pot it) but shouldn't it produce them anyway? Ive had this plant for 2 years and haven't gotten a sing pup. Is it simply because it needs a bigger pot?
Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your plant?

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

Kurite
Cool Member

[img]https://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab328/Kurite/IMG_2238.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The plant doesn't look unhealthy ... just has a couple of broken leaves. If you like, you can cut them off at the stem, using a clean, sharp knife, but the plant is fine as it is.

I can't tell for certain which variety your aloe is, but it looks like it might be the darker green variety, which is not nearly as prolific at producing pups as the lighter green/variegated/speckled type. You should still get some pups, though. It's very possible that your plant just isn't old enough yet to produce pups.

Aloes, like cacti, usually produce more pups when they are slightly root bound. If you repot your plant, be careful not to put it in too large of a container. Although aloes are adaptive to a wide range of conditions, they do best in a potting mix designed for cacti and succulents.

They can survive in low light conditions, but they prefer a lot of sun. During the winter months, you might want to consider using grow lights to increase the light intensity for your plant. You can move your plant outdoors in the summer, but don't put it into direct sunlight right away. Start it in shade, then every couple of days, slightly increase the amount of sunlight it gets.

nanoc
Newly Registered

I really want to know when aloe vera plant can produce pups I mean .. what age?
Mine have no pups and it's in great condition and produce new leaves

imafan26
Mod

Plant them in the ground so they can grow laterally. If the stem of the plant is long enough lop off the aloe and plant the top. Leave the stem you left behind and water it as usual. Eventually, new plants will sucker from it. I have to thin my aloe patch a couple of times a year since it keeps expanding so I have a lot of pups coming out all of the time

applestar
Mod

@Nanoc, how long have you had it?

I've had mine for a long time now and it has produced multitude of pups, and the pups have produced pups. The one I have might not be the same species, but it seems to me mine grows pups whenever I neglect it too much, let it dry out, then water it in a panic. Not much of an answer, I know.

I keep mine inside by the SE window/on the windowsill year-round since I sunburned it terribly when I tried to put it outside one year. It gets very cold by the window during winter here, freezing enough that there is frost/ice on the inside window when coldest, but it doesn't seem to mind. I do have to watch out for scale insects that ants coming in along the window frame bring to pasture on my Indoor plants.

jeff84

let them dry to the point you think they just might not make it then transplant into a mix of rich compost and sand, 50/50. the container should be just slightly larger than the root mass.. water in once really well and stick it in a bright location. give it 1-4 cup of water per gallon of soil per month.

if its an outdoor direct sunlight plant then it needs more water, a sunny window or indirect outdoor location it doesn't need as much.

the more sun it gets the more water it needs, but never needs a lot of water.

I have kept them alive in yougurt cups for a whole year indoors with just an initial soaking (not happy but alive). the ones that spread do so when in shallow containers and just a little water per week. water around the outside of the root ball to make them seek it out. if you water right at the base of the main plant, it wont have any reason to try to spread.

nanoc
Newly Registered

@imafan26 I don't have space to put the plant in the ground but I will put it in a larger contanier so it can grow laterally . Thank you

nanoc
Newly Registered

@applestar
I have it for 5 months and I think it was more than 5 months old when I bought it ,so now it's more than 10 months.
I live in Egypt so it's hot here, I leave it outside and water it when it's fully dry (once a week)
Do I have to let it dry more than that ? It's very hot in here

nanoc
Newly Registered

@jeff84
You amazed me with this idea !! To water around the outside of the root ball to let it seek water .. right thinking
But how can I do so ? I grow it in a container so mine needs 1 liter of water to be fully watered and then I leave it until it's fully dry, so when I pour this amout of water the surface of the plant is covered with water for 3-4 mins. Until the plant absorbs all of it. How can I water around the outside of root ball in this case?
Thank you for helping

Straighbangin
Newly Registered

I had an apartment in Miami Beach where the prior tenant left a bunch of aloe plants behind so I happily adopted them I have no idea how old they were, they were in a pile in the shade with pretty much no dirt or water but still doing fine . I put them in planters and I moved to a different area of Miami and they did great in the shade .too much sun and they got a sunburn. they did great both inside and outside. after four years they finally started producing pups and tons of them. So, it can take awhile. I think you may be overwatering though because aloe are succulents which is like cactus they don't need that much water. I would give them a good watering maybe once a month. if they are outside where they could even get a little splash of rainwater from under an overhang I wouldn't water them at all. Good luck. I feel it's a combination of time and luck with these pups

subigirl
Newly Registered

My aloe didn't start producing pups until after about 4 years. In that time, I nearly killed it twice (overwatering while it was indoors), and each time pruned off the "sick" leaves and reburied the entire trunk. I've been in my apartment for two years now, and it is outside on my patio...the "root" is rather long after the two prunings. Last summer, it produced twins. I just checked it this morning, and another pup is emerging from the dirt. Don't know yet if that is the only one...will have to wait and see.

imafan26
Mod

I have to thin my aloe patch at least twice a year. Where I have cut them off, they just sucker and grow more. Mine is very old. It is probably 30-40 years old.

Ksk
Cool Member

I moved an old Aloe plant from a bright east window to a very bright south window. No direct sun but super bright. I water slightly every two weeks. Pups emerged within a month and haven’t stoped. I now have 4 clumps of pups. Anectodal but there you are.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived in Phoenix Arizona area I started out with 1 aloe plant and ended up with over 250 plants. It took me 6 months to learn aloe grows better in the yard than in pots. If you grow them in pots get a 12" diameter low profile pot 8" tall. Aloe must have rhizome roots, I planted 1 plant on east side of the house where it got full sun from about 8:30 am to 10:30 am every morning. It got indirect sunlight the rest of the day. Too much sun will make aloe turn a transparent brown color. My plant was about 6" tall and about 6 months later 12" tall with about 10 baby plants coming up all around the mother plant. About 6 months later mother plant was 18" tall and making more babies plus the original 10 babies were 12" tall with about 100 babies in a circle around the whole plant group. 6 months later mother plant was 24" tall, the other 250 plants were all sizes. I gave away lots of plants and a year later the original mother plants was about 36" tall and I still had 250 plants of many sizes. Aloe loves the continuous moisture in the yard soil much better that uneven moisture in pots. AZ soil has almost no food value for plants a small amount of fertilizer helped my Aloe & cactus too. AZ temperature 114 for 3 months every summer and winter 21 to 25 degrees at night & 65 to 70 during the day for 3 weeks in Feb Aloe did good outside. Aloe grows best in 70 degree weather.

imafan26
Mod

Try a wider pot so the stem can elongate so there is room for suckers to grow. When it gets long enough, cut off the top, callus it off and plant it. Keep the bottom, water it enough to keep it alive, sometimes then it suckers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Did you every get baby plants to grow?.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”