Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Why wont my aloe vera plant produce pups

When I lived in Phoenix Arizona area I started out with 1 aloe plant and ended up with over 250 plants. It took me 6 months to learn aloe grows better in the yard than in pots. If you grow them in pots get a 12" diameter low profile pot 8" tall. Aloe must have rhizome roots, I planted 1 plant on east side of the house where it got full sun from about 8:30 am to 10:30 am every morning. It got indirect sunlight the rest of the day. Too much sun will make aloe turn a transparent brown color. My plant was about 6" tall and about 6 months later 12" tall with about 10 baby plants coming up all around the mother plant. About 6 months later mother plant was 18" tall and making more babies plus the original 10 babies were 12" tall with about 100 babies in a circle around the whole plant group. 6 months later mother plant was 24" tall, the other 250 plants were all sizes. I gave away lots of plants and a year later the original mother plants was about 36" tall and I still had 250 plants of many sizes. Aloe loves the continuous moisture in the yard soil much better that uneven moisture in pots. AZ soil has almost no food value for plants a small amount of fertilizer helped my Aloe & cactus too. AZ temperature 114 for 3 months every summer and winter 21 to 25 degrees at night & 65 to 70 during the day for 3 weeks in Feb Aloe did good outside. Aloe grows best in 70 degree weather.

imafan26
Mod

Try a wider pot so the stem can elongate so there is room for suckers to grow. When it gets long enough, cut off the top, callus it off and plant it. Keep the bottom, water it enough to keep it alive, sometimes then it suckers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Did you every get baby plants to grow?.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”