Decado
Green Thumb

Aloe Offspring?

Are these aloe babies popping up in this picture here? If so, how big do they need to be before I can transplant them, and is there any special way I should go about doing it?

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/6-21-2009/DSC01775.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, they are pups. I think I'd let them get at least 3 or 4 inches tall before I separated them from the parent plant, just to be sure they have a good root system.

As when planting or repotting all cacti and succulents, you'll want to let the soil become dry before separating the babies. Have the pots and soil ready for the new plants. Remove the entire plant from its pot, and gently tease the offshoots away from the main plant. Be careful that each offshoot has some roots with it. Immediately, plant the offshoots in their own, individual pots. :)

Decado
Green Thumb

So 3 or 4 inches huh? The parent is only like 5 inches tall as it is.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Those little offshoots probably still depend on the root system of the parent plant for their nourishment. You need to give them time to develop enough roots of their own, so they can survive when you separate them.

I'm sure the parent plant will be larger by the time the pups are ready to go out on their own. :)

Decado
Green Thumb

Alright, well I'm guessing I'll have to put it in a bigger pot then if I need to let those get to 3-4 inches tall, lol.

Haesuse

Decado wrote:Alright, well I'm guessing I'll have to put it in a bigger pot then if I need to let those get to 3-4 inches tall, lol.
not at all. you'd be surprised how easily aloes seem to outgrow their pots. aloes are super top-heavy, and once the roots have reached their limits in the pot, they start sending out tons of pups.

you will have more pups than you know what to do with, in that pot. the only problem with them will be that they tend to hang over the sides of your pot, from lack of room. this makes it a little bit more difficult to plant the pups properly, as they will be accustomed to a sideways posture, but you will, no doubt, be trying to plant them upright. but, not pointing straight up never hurt an aloe plant.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”