Identification

Hi,

Please help me to identify this plant.
[img]https://barnstorms.serve-hosting.net/~sleutelk/image/DSCF3830.jpg[/img]
Thx,

Blober

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Common name hens and chicks. (Sempervivum tectorum) or similar species.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

blober
Newly Registered

Thank you, I had the idea that it is a Mexican Rose. What is the difference?
Thx,

Blober

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I think that you may be correct. I hadn't seen hens and chicks in several years and didn't distinguish the difference in form. The hens and chicks plants have similar use in a succulent garden or rock garden. I think that the size is similar, but other than being succelents these plants must not be nearly a closely related as I has imagined as the genus is totally different.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65010/
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

blober
Newly Registered

I have no idea, I live in South Africa and it is very common here. How will I find out what it is. Is it Mexican Rose or Hen and Chicks?
Thx,

Blober

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Click the link that I provided above. Looks identical to me.
Alex

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You seem to be very interested in succulent identification; are you familiar with the Cactus & Succulent Society of America?

https://www.cssainc.org

There are over 80 affiliated chapters of the CSSA, many of them in other countries. There was a list of publications available; at least some of them must be identification guides.

The common names like "hen and chicks" or "Mexican rose" may be applied to several varieties of succulent; however, those varieties may have different scientific names. Someone else's "hen and chicks" may not be the same as mine.

Even Sunset is careful to draw the distinction between:

--Hen and chickens. See SEMPERVIVUM tectorum.
--Hen and chicks. See ECHEVERIA.

And there are hundreds of varieties of succulents, some specific to one locale.

Also: please do not post multiple messages with the same title; it will actually diminish your response, as people will see the titles and think, "Oh, I've already seen that one." If you have any information as to the plants--where you got them, how you got them, who the grower was--that is also helpful. This is a discussion community of (mostly amateur, a few professional) gardeners, and any information you can provide would be helpful.

It's very difficult to open a message and see "Please help me identify this plant," without telling us anything about whether it is indoor/outdoor, how old it is, where in the world (literally) you are growing it, etc. Let us know what you *already know* about the plant(s).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”