Spotted
Cool Member

THANKSGIVING CACTUS CARE - Separating & Rooting

My mother just purchased a Thanksgiving cactus with white flowers. She broke off a piece and gave it to me, telling me it will root, but I have no idea how to root it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm mostly looking on how to root the piece my mother gave me.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just fill a pot with soil, dampen the soil, poke a shallow hole in it about 1/4 inch deep, insert the end of the section and gently firm the soil around it.

Keep it out of direct sunlight for the first few weeks.

I have 6 zygocactus starts on my kitchen counter right now! :D

Spotted
Cool Member

Thank you. I've been excited about getting this little addition to my indoor garden

bali

She told you correct.
I have oodles of them from broken off pieces.. Just take cuttings and poke them into the soil..

They love being crowded in a pot. I have mixed colors in mine. THey just quit blooming ...........

peach
red
white
yellow didnt yet.

oldschoolvdub
Cool Member

is it the same with the easter cacti?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes. It is the same. :)

oldschoolvdub
Cool Member

just out of curiosity, do you know the length of time it takes for them to root? And do they grow pretty fast once they get their root system started?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They should start to show tiny roots within 2 or 3 weeks. I don't consider them to be a particularly fast-growing plant, myself. Not like summer annuals, anyway. I would estimate that mine put out an average of 1 to 3 leaf-segments per stem each year. To be honest, I've never really paid that much attention to it, just so long as I see the occasional new leaf. They seem to put out new growth during the spring and summer, not so much during the fall and winter. I only fertilize them when there is active new growth.

I recall reading of ways to control the bloom time. I don't remember anymore whether it was a matter of withholding water for a short time, or whether it was a matter of manipulating the amount of light. I've never bothered with it. I just let mine bloom when they're ready, and they seem to be happy blooming in late fall/early winter. If you're interested in manipulating the bloom time, I'm sure you can Google for the instructions. :)

bali

Hes correct.

They actually live on neglect......I seldom water, they love anything.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”