Tonksita
Newly Registered

New bonsai tree hoping to be identified

A couple days ago my husband was gifted this beautiful specimen but I have no idea how to take care of it nor what type is it. So here I am looking for guidance for the experts.

Right now I'm using a hair water spray everyday to water it and I wet it enough so the top layer looks wet enough.

Also, I'm concerned that I can see a lot of exposed roots. Is that fine?

Thank you so much for any help.
Attachments
20161101_012019.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

1. Watering. Every day you should insert a wooden chop-stick into soil and withdraw it. If it comes out damp your soil has enough moisture in it. If dry water it well. Immerse it even for a few minutes and set it out on the drainboard to drain excess.

2. Where are you? Temperate hearty trees mostly live out of doors, Your signature line should at least mention a state-province and USDA zone.

3. What am I? I am terrible at this. My best guess is a boxwood.

4. Exposed roots. Your new tree baby looks like it was placed in ordinary garden soil. Trees in very small pans do better in much looser soil. Start to look for Big-box store cactus mix. Plan on repotting in the spring. Too little air (or too much water) and your baby will drown.

I expect if your tree lives, next spring will be time to repot, and return it to outdoors. For now it needs to live away from heat registers-radiators (it will cook), and remain under as bright florescent bulbs as you can afford.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Bonsai Identification”