keepitcovert
Newly Registered

Was gifted a bonsai tree, need help identifying

I was recently gifted this bonsai by my father in law. It was labeled an indoor bonsai, but no species was listed. I've rewired and pruned it a bit, but I still can't find the species with simple searches, or on sites that list common species. I live on the channel islands, so I'm wondering how I would best care for it. I'd like to promote some growth, and to possibly shrink the leaves a bit if possible. I have plenty of room, both indoors and outdoors.

Thanks in advance.

imafan26
Mod

It could be a jaboitcaba . They have dark trunks and leaf shape similar to yours.

Otherwise, the leaves look like dwarf pomegranate, but the trunk is not that dark. Pomegranate have thorns so look for thorns or scars from where thorns were taken off.

These are my guesses. It helps when buying bonsai to get ones that have tags that tell you the species. It is easier to find out how to care for them that way.

keepitcovert
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick reply!
I noticed after your comment that the trunk itself was just rather dirty. I cleaned it up a bit with a toothbrush and some water, and took a couple more pics. I can't see any thorns, or scars from removal.

As for buying ones with the tag, it was a gift. I would much prefer to have been given one with a tag, but it didn't have one, hence why I'm here.

From what I've looked at, it seems to be close to a ficus, but the leaves seem a bit too thin. I don't see any thorns or marks from removal, so it seems pomegranate may not be it either. Any second guesses?

I've also noticed it seems to be planted in a normal garden soil, should I re-pot it and replace the soil with something a bit more healthy for the tree?

Return to “Bonsai Identification”