jammyc
Newly Registered

Identify my tree please!

Hi guys,

So I've had my tree for about 6 months now and have basically been taking care of it using generic instructions but haven't (until now) had enough time to really look to care for it specifically.

Can anyone identify the species for it first? Also the soil seems compacted and has grass like shoots growing in it for the last 2/3 weeks (the weather has been much better here in the last month or so).

Thanks for all your help.

Algida

Hi,
Carmona microphylla, I guess.

jammyc
Newly Registered

Hi Algida,

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any advice regarding the soil? Do you think it looks too compact etc?

Algida

You're welcome.
When watering it, the water should not stay on the surface more than 2-3 seconds, let's say.
The tree is not too demanding. Check it regularly for pests (a sign would be sticky leaves).
Other sign of disease is leaves getting brown and crunchy.
It looks fine in the picture, so continue the way you've done so far. I guess that you've used fertilizers for bonsai.

jammyc
Newly Registered

I've been immersing it in water slightly less than room temperature and misting it daily.

I'm not sure if I should be putting it outdoors or not? The days here are about 13-15 Celsius. I have it in a window getting plenty of light during the day time.

Yes I've been using fertiliser fortnightly since the start of summer. I've noticed since 2/3 weeks ago that some leaves have been turning yellow & falling. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Finally, I'm wondering what I can do to make it appear more dense?

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Algida

Leaves turning yellow might be a sign of over-watering. Try adding a day between waterings.
I would not put it outdoors.
You'd prune the new shoots and in time it would get more dense. Try regularly reversing the side facing the light.
Last edited by Algida on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

jammyc
Newly Registered

Brilliant, thank you very much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Algida

You're welcome.
One more thing. In 1-2 yrs, you'd probably have to repot it. I've always experienced issues after it. Not sure why, but I suspect the poor quality bonsai soils I find in the stores. Try using a good quality one.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”