Lyndsay91
Newly Registered

Meijer Bonsai ID

20160320_142024.jpg
I bought these two small bonsais at Meijer which were not labeled except for the sticker that said "Jr bonsai shapes". I wasn't sure if the Jr was short for Juniper or Junior. These were sitting near the Bamboo, Jade, and succulent plants so I assumed they would be an indoor bonsai. I have no idea though. :?:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

For the life of me, they look like (to me) baby asparagus plants. Which just goes to prove why they maybe shouldn't let me play...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

definitely not juniper anyway....

actually, you pointed me in the right direction, tom. I think it may be asparagus fern (which is related). Asparagus fern is sometimes treated as an indoor bonsai:

Bonsai purists would not consider this a "real" bonsai, since the ferns do not get woody. It will never look very much like a tree, but it can be pretty.

Lyndsay91
Newly Registered

Hmm okay, I will look into that. I just wish they were labeled so I can care for them properly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just look up asparagus fern care: https://www.thegardenhelper.com/asparagus_ferns.html

they are very easy and undemanding, which is why they are popular house plants. They grow fast, so they will take a lot of trimming to have any resemblance to bonsai.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”