BeautifulBonsai
Newly Registered

Hmm, what are these two Bonsai?

So, I currently have two Bonsai trees, and I'm unsure of the species. Neither were labelled with a species when purchased.

Tree One
I just purchased this tree today.
It's leaves are small/medium dark green and not particularly shiny (newer growth is a lighter green and the very new growth almost has an orangey tint to it). They have symmetrical veins running through them and grow in pairs from the stem.
The trunk is relatively slim and a little grey in colour
It seems to have berries or fruits which start out green and turn a very dark purple.

Tree Two
I have had this tree for quite a while now.
It has very shiny, almost waxy very thick dark green leaves (again, newer growth is a lighter green) Most of the leaves are rounded, however some are a little pointed kind of like } <- that. The leaves on this tree also appear to grow in pairs from the stems, although it's harder to tell.
This tree has a mid brown, knobbly, thick trunk
No berries or fruits on this one, but it has a long flowering period producing lots of little pointed, white flowers.

So, any ideas? I've looked through so many species but I can't distinguish between them all! Please see the attached images.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
Leaves on tree 2
Leaves on tree 2
Flower bud on tree 2
Flower bud on tree 2
Whole of tree 2
Whole of tree 2
Purple berry from tree 1
Purple berry from tree 1
Green berry on tree 1
Green berry on tree 1
Leaves of tree 1
Leaves of tree 1
Leaves of tree 1
Leaves of tree 1
Whole of tree 1
Whole of tree 1

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think your tree 2 (that you started with) is a Carmona, aka Fukien tea.

The notched leaf tips are distinctive:

https://indianabonsai.com/tag/fukien-tea/

It's more of a guess, but I'm thinking the other one may be Sageretia, aka Bird plum. Someone who knows bonsai better can check me....

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-specie ... a-theezans

Both very nice trees for indoor bonsai.

BeautifulBonsai
Newly Registered

That's great, thanks rainbowgardener! I was thinking either Fukien or Ficus for tree 2, and Chinese Bird Plum was my guess for tree 1 so I guess I didn't do too badly there haha! Any tips on care for these particular trees? Maybe an age range? I think the Fukien may be around 6 years old but I'm unsure about the Chinese Bird Plum!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Both of these trees look to be potted with peat-moss. There is hardly a less suitable soil to train trees in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree with tom! What he means is that good bonsai soil is very mineral and loose and free draining. The peat moss based potting soil holds too much water for too long, is too dense and packs down and excludes air. Your soil is all wrong for bonsai or even generally for trees in pots. Doesn't matter if that is the soil it came with; bonsai trees are often sold in potting soil that is very bad for them.

You will need to repot them in to good bonsai soil. Repotting is generally done in the spring, but if your trees start suffering, with yellowing leaves, dropping leaves, etc., I would go ahead and do it anyway. Here's an article about bonsai soil:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/soil.html

and here's a couple about how to water your bonsai and general care:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/care.html

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Use the chopstick method to know how wet/dry your soil is and don't water again until it is starting to dry out a bit.

I don't know if anyone can say much about the age of the trees, except whoever grew them. Age is mainly shown in bonsai by the thickness of the trunk, but how quickly a given tree thickens up can vary a lot with how it is cared for.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can use the winter to read up about bonsai styles and shaping. Study your trees, maybe draw them, figure out what will be the "front" of the tree and what general shape and style you envision for them.

Eventually you will want to do some pruning to give them more shape. They are looking kind of twiggy.

Here's an image of a nice bird plum bonsai:

https://www.happybonsai.com/tree-species ... I-trees-2/

BeautifulBonsai
Newly Registered

Great replies, I thought the bird plum looked very water logged when I got it yesterday, the Fukien appears to dry out very quickly though!
So I've repotted both trees into some Lorbex bonsai compost with some gravel underneath and given them both some water, and we'll see how they go! I've also been spraying them with water once a day as I think that's good for them?
With regards to pruning I don't think I'm very imaginative haha, although once I get some bonsai wires I will give it a try! The Fukien has a nice twisty trunk anyway so I'll try and do something with that, the bird plum however is very straight, not sure if that's a blank canvas or really difficult to plan a shape for haha!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: I've also been spraying them with water once a day

Depends on what you mean. Misting your house plants daily or at least several times a week is very good for them. That would be a very fine mist with a household spray bottle. It is not a way of watering the plant; it is a way of keeping a lot of humidity around the leaves, so they don't dry out. Heated air in the house in winter is very dry.

Spraying to me sounds like getting it really wet, not as beneficial and possibly conducive to fungal disease.

BeautifulBonsai
Newly Registered

Oh no, I only lightly mist them with a spray bottle, especially seeing as it's winter and we've got the heating on!
Spraying was just my word of choice.
I'm still watering them as well, of course!

Return to “Bonsai Identification”