LindainPa
Newly Registered

Inherited a bonsai

A co-worker of mine (Ray - we call him Ray of sunshine) has been placed in hospice. He has very little time left. Unfortunately, he has no family, but he loved his bonsai trees. His trees have been divided up between his co-workers. I am honored to have received one of them to care for. Ray is a veteran who served his country and community well, I hope that I can serve his bonsai well.
So, I received this tree today, I have no idea what to do with it. I've been so enjoying your forum and have learned so much over the last few hours.
I'm so grateful to have found your forum. I will be posting many questions!.....as soon as I know what to ask! :wink:
Good evening,
Linda

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Read up on using a chop-stick with watering. If you stay with bonsai, you'll wear out a chopstick every year.

Find your trees front. And don't be too surprised if there is one 'front' when the tree is held up at arms length. And a different one set out on a table.

You will need to touch and poke and breathe on your new tree baby every day. First to find out its watering needs, and to grow a set of diagnostic senses for it.

If you wait for it to ail, it will die. You don't have the acumen (yet) to care for it procatively.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Linda,

Hello and welcome. Look here: Help Us Help You

Please post some pictures of the tree so that we can attempt to ID it.

LindainPa
Newly Registered

Hi and thank you for your help. I think I added 3 pictures, what I think would be the front, a close up of the leaves (there's a lot of new growth) and a close up the wires on the branches??? Was he training it?
Attachments
20150830_181234.jpg
20150830_181206.jpg
20150830_181145.jpg

LindainPa
Newly Registered

After doing more reading, I placed the tree in a south facing window. I live in western pa; the nights are getting into the 50s and 60s so I could place him outside for more sunlight. I will buy a chopstick tomorrow. I have no idea about previous care, watering, or age of the tree. I notice there are little rocks on the top of the soil which I read is not recommended. Not sure if I should remove them right away or let it be for now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your tree is a ginseng ficus. It is a good tree for indoor bonsai, being a tropical evergreen, It is not doing very well. Being evergreen, it should never drop its leaves (all at once, just a little here and there continually as they are replaced).

That said, ficus are prone to dropping their leaves as a sign of stress, in reaction to being moved, environmental changes etc. The good news about that is since they easily drop their leaves, they also easily grow them back.

They are always kind of twiggy and hard to give it much shape, but should be a lot fuller/ leafier:

https://www.easternleaf.com/v/vspfiles/p ... 0-03-2.jpg

LindainPa
Newly Registered

Wow, good to know what it is. I think it was a little neglected when Ray was first placed in hospice, then it was moved to my work and then I took it home. I'm still learning....

Return to “Bonsai Identification”