hollycathers
Newly Registered

Gift bonsai, identification?

Hello,

I was given a bonsai as a gift, but sadly I have no experience with bonsai plants.
I have been reading around to help care for my bonsai but am stuck with specific requirements as the species is unknown.
20150819_210848.jpg
If anyone can identify this plant, I would be very grateful.

Please and thank you!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

hollycathers,

When I zoom in on the picture it's rather blurry but I'm pretty sure that you have a Fukien Tea (Carmona) I'm not personally familiar with this species but they seem to be pretty common as mass produced bonsai.

I see from the introduction forum that you are doing your research. Have you seen the threads about soil and repotting? There is also one that describes watering too. That will be your first hurdle, to learn how to water it correctly, especially considering the type of soil in the pot. Use the chopstick method to determine when to water. Welcome to the forum.

hollycathers
Newly Registered

Thank you very much!

I have been following threads on watering: most suggest a thorough soaking, and 2nd watering, then letting the soil dry to slight dampness before watering it again. I'll be keeping an eye on the soil colour and checking with a blunt wooden stick.

It was recommended that I fertilize the plant once a week with liquid fertilizer, but would that be counted as watering, or on top of watering?

As this was a gift, I'm not too certain on when to re-pot the plant, but I have read around on the subject.

Thank you and very glad to have found this site,
Holly

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

most suggest a thorough soaking, and 2nd watering, then letting the soil dry to slight dampness before watering it again.
A second watering can be helpful, especially when dealing with a heavier soil, which yours is. How long to wait before watering is going to be dependent upon many factors, species, climate, soil texture, etc.

In general, this is good advice:
Another method is to insert a kitchen skewer or chopstick to the bottom of the pot and leave it there. Take it out daily to check it; if the skewer has soil stuck to it don't water. Touch the wood to your cheek or underside of your wrist, if it is damp there is no need to water. This method is particularly useful for trees that are in heavier organic/peat based soils. It becomes less effective when proper bonsai soils are used.
It was recommended that I fertilize the plant once a week with liquid fertilizer, but would that be counted as watering, or on top of watering?
Once a week might seem like way too often for conventionally potted plants. But bonsai are generally potted in a very free draining medium which is pretty much watered every day during summer. This, in turn, necessitates frequent fertilization. In your situation, meaning dense/organic soil, I might cut that back to every other week. I usually water first, then fertilize. It seems to help the fertilizer to be absorbed rather than run off/around as can happen.

Here is a link to a species guide. BTW take a good look around that site, he is from the UK as well.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html

hollycathers
Newly Registered

Your advice are very helpful, thank you!

Return to “Bonsai Identification”