starling68
Newly Registered

What is this bonsai?

Hi, I recently got gifted my second bonsai - unfortunately the label does not specify which species it is, which I need to know to look up detailed care instructions.

It has many twiggy branches diverging from a light brown truck. The leaves are a lime green, and are oval with a pointed tip and slightly serrated edges. I've attached pictures to help ID.

Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
20150727_115029.jpg
20150727_115210.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Hmmm - interesting. I'm sorry that I can't definitively I.d. it for you, but we have many much more experienced bonsai folks here who will surely chime in.

The leaves, etc., do resemble a small olive tree I have container-growing at the moment, but have yet to come across an olive bonsai.

Where are you located? - as that will help folks advise you re: I.d. & care.

starling68
Newly Registered

No worries! Thanks for looking - if it is an olive bonsai I would be very pleased :D

The bonsai was labelled as being an outdoor bonsai when I received it, yet I just asked my friend (who gave it to me) and she said it was located inside of the shop when she bought it. Plus, I have been keeping it inside my house and it doesn't appear to be suffering at all. I don't know if that helps at all.

I'm in London, England, by the way.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Most bonsai ARE outdoor plants. Even in England. :wink: And I'm thinking that yours will do best outside for the summer/early fall until it's definitively identified.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”