Newyorker89
Newly Registered

Name of my bonsai? Is it dead?

Hi everyone, I live in Queens,NY and bought my bonsai two months ago. I also moved this month but the plant was all green and full of leaves to a point where I had to trim the branches a little. But two weeks ago it started shedding its leaves, the moss has turned brown with very little green in it and the leaves are drying up as you can see in the picture. Please can someone help, I really don't want my plant to die!

Also I don't know the name of my plant,if someone can name it that would be very helpful.thank you.
Attachments
image.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Newyorker89,

It's a Chinese Elm. Don't worry about the moss, in fact I would remove it entirely along with the top dressing of pebbles, especially if they are glued on. We need more information.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 36&t=21636

In the meantime read this.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Newyorker89
Newly Registered

Hi Gnome, thank you for replying back. So I removed the moss and pebbles. I found out that I had been watering my plant too much because the soil was very very wet. I waited almost a week to have it dry out, keeping it out of direct sunlight as it has gotten very hot in Quuens, NY these days. I have kept the plant near the window for sunlight, then moved it to the floor for less sunlight and I have moved the plant in a place where there is little sunlight. It looks dead now, it has shed all its leaves which turned from green to brown. Attached is a picture of the leaves which are dried out and the plant. I am confused as to what should I do next. Can you please help with what my next step should be? This is my first plant and it is dying already because I watered it too much.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I hate to be the Voice of Doom, but your tree definitely looks dead now.

For future reference, Chinese Elm is really an outdoor bonsai. As in year-round outdoor. Won't survive indoors.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”