JacobTyler
Newly Registered

ID 3 Bonsai I got as grad gifts please?

I received this trio of bonsai trees for graduation gifts. I have been searching myself but thought it best to get an more experienced eyes opinion on their type so I can give them proper care. Any help would be considered as a great favor, as I have never owned one,much less three.
Attachments
notta clue.
notta clue.
Juniper Maybe?
Juniper Maybe?
Crab apple?
Crab apple?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

The top one looks like a Ficus (aka "Weeping Fig"), in which case it can spend the Spring/Summer outdoors, but must return indoors before frost.

Second guy is definitely a Juniper, so needs to be kept outdoors year-round. I have one EXACTLY like yours - planted in a little rock-shaped planter - that has been going strong for years now. The only time I've popped it indoors has been when night temps were going to go below 20 degrees. (Kept it right inside the door though, as it's not healthy for the plant to have wildly fluctuating temps - especially during the dormant winter months - & put it right back outside in the morning.)

Third photo is a little dark for a definitive I.d., but I will venture a guess that it's a Chinese Elm - another outdoor resident.

All of the bonsai I currently own came from this vendor: https://www.brusselsbonsai.com/
Lots of good information, as well as supplies & quality plants.
Last edited by GardeningCook on Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JacobTyler
Newly Registered

thank you for your help! I took a clearer picture with better light, does that help?
Attachments
A clearer picture of the last
A clearer picture of the last

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the better pic. Hmmm - although the leaves aren't absolutely identical to the pic on this site - https://eu.fotolia.com/id/81400186 - I'm still guessing you do have a Chinese Elm there. For one thing there can be slight variations in leaf appearance depending on the age of the tree; for another, Chinese Elm is another very popular bonsai subject (as are the other two you've been gifted with).

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JacobTyler,

Pretty sure that the third one is a Fukien Tea (Carmona).

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:JacobTyler,

Pretty sure that the third one is a Fukien Tea (Carmona).
I do believe you are absolutely correct, & I stand duly corrected. :wink:

JacobTyler - Fukien Tea is also an indoor bonsai that cannot take cold temps.

At least now you can start researching how best to care for your new bonsai charges. Enjoy! :D

JacobTyler
Newly Registered

Thanks a bunch I am greatful for your time, I will use this info to begin a care plan for these guys.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree with everything that has been said. I would just suggest that the juniper should not come in EVER. They grow natively clear up to the Arctic circle and are hardy to 30 degrees BELOW zero (F). If you are worried about snow pack or freeze thaw, they can spend the worst of the winter in an unheated garage.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I agree with everything that has been said. I would just suggest that the juniper should not come in EVER. They grow natively clear up to the Arctic circle and are hardy to 30 degrees BELOW zero (F). If you are worried about snow pack or freeze thaw, they can spend the worst of the winter in an unheated garage.
My juniper bonsai does live outdoors year-round, but I do bring it inside the doorway when temps drop below 20 degrees because it's not just a matter of "snow pack" or "freeze thaw", but the fact that bonsai pots are very small & very shallow & can/will freeze completely solid in a relatively short amount of time in extreme cold. It's a lot different from ground-planted junipers or even those grown in large planters. The key in bringing them in under those circumstances is to do it only when necessary, to place them in the coolest spot available (in my case, that's right up against the inside of the front door), & get them back outside asap. For me, when temps dictate, mine comes in last thing at night & goes out first thing in the a.m. So far (fingers crossed), I've not had any problems.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”