starling68
Newly Registered

Please help me ID my tree?

Hi, I recently received this bonsai as a gift. I know it was bought from Morrison's, but all the tag tells me is that it is an indoor bonsai.
I'd like to know what species it is so I can look up detailed care instructions (it's my first bonsai tree and I don't want to kill it!)

It has shiny green oval leaves, with small hairs on them, and a rough light brown/beige trunk. It has recently been flowering, with small white flowers that last a couple of days.

I've attached some pictures to help. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
20150418_100719.jpg
20150418_100619.jpg
20150418_100612.jpg
20150418_100753.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those notched leaves are quite distinctive. It is a Fukien tea, a tropical tree which is frequently used for indoor bonsai. It's a nice tree, but you do have to watch it very carefully as it is very attractive to insects (like aphids, mealy bugs, scale insects).

I like that yours retains it natural shape. You often see them forced into S bends and other contortions that don't look natural to me.

Here's a sample of a Fukien tea bonsai I like:

https://eschmidtpabonsai.files.wordpres ... g_9657.jpg

starling68
Newly Registered

I never considered a Fukien Tea when I was trying to identify it, but now looking online at pictures of the species I can see it is definitely one!

I just read that it isn't an easy tree for beginners to look after, but at the moment it is seems to be growing pretty well. Let's hope I can keep it that way!

Thank you for your help and advice rainbowgardener, it's much appreciated :)

Return to “Bonsai Identification”