splooch
Newly Registered

please help me identify my bonsai tree

I just bought a bonsai from a van-seller merchant, that selling alot of random bonsai trees. and this particular tree caught my attention so I bought it.

but the salesman was Chinese, and didn't have much of a strong English vocabulary. so I couldn't get what type of tree it is.

I tried identifying it by searching on a website on... https://www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/yew

I think it's a yew type of tree in a way. but not quite for sure.

here is the link on imgur of the tree I bought. please help.

https://imgur.com/a/ZBl7D
thanks soo much.

splooch
Newly Registered

and please if you have any tips for me that would be great :D!. like how to trim, or what soil to use, or even when to water. that would be great :D!. and also the tree I have is already 3 years old.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Splooch.

Your juniper tree is not really suited to live indoors. When spring comes he will need to move outdoors. And live outdoors there after.

Make-find-buy a big splinter, kebab-skewer, or chop stick. Stick it into soil daily. If your chop-stick comes out damp its not time to water. If dry, it is time to water. Go to the sink and liberally top water and let the tree drain at the sink.

Advice about styling is going to wait till you have looked at enough other junipers and drawn a stick figure of your tree, till you have an idea of what you want your tree to become. I have thunk about my next pruning job for years before cutting. Neither you or your tree are going anywhere. Measure twice, cut once.

there is a learning library here. Spend a few days in it. it will pose answers you have not yet thought to ask.

splooch
Newly Registered

Thanks :D is there any awesome type of bonsai trees that are made for indoor? :D if so I want a couple of pointers:D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

splooch,
is there any awesome type of bonsai trees that are made for indoor?
No tree/shrub/bonsai will be at its best indoors. Some, such as Juniper, are thoroughly ill suited to indoor culture. Others will seem OK for a while but eventually fade. Some can be grown indoors, but know that if you don't have a good southern exposure, supplemental lighting should be considered mandatory.

Look to tropicals such as Ficus or Schefflera for indoor culture. I also enjoy Portulacaria. All of these, for me, are outside all summer, retreating indoors each fall.

Can you please fill in your profile. A rough idea of your location has relevance.

BTW, my browser did not like your image host so I did not see your picture. We do host photos on site.

Norm

splooch
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:splooch,
is there any awesome type of bonsai trees that are made for indoor?
No tree/shrub/bonsai will be at its best indoors. Some, such as Juniper, are thoroughly ill suited to indoor culture. Others will seem OK for a while but eventually fade. Some can be grown indoors, but know that if you don't have a good southern exposure, supplemental lighting should be considered mandatory.

Look to tropicals such as Ficus or Schefflera for indoor culture. I also enjoy Portulacaria. All of these, for me, are outside all summer, retreating indoors each fall.

Can you please fill in your profile. A rough idea of your location has relevance.

BTW, my browser did not like your image host so I did not see your picture. We do host photos on site.

Norm

"BTW, my browser did not like your image host so I did not see your picture. We do host photos on site."

I'm sorry for that, here is the picture, and I have identified it at a juniper,
IMG_0191.JPG

now I do have some concerns, there are a couple of brown spots on the tree, is there any possible way that it can be damaged?

Return to “Bonsai Identification”