nattyh
Newly Registered

bonsai is dropping its leaves

Hi.
I'm a new bonsai owner iv had it since 30/11/14
Iv been following the instructions given with tree witch were to mist it dayly and to sock it half way up it trunk once a week I have food on order but it seams to be dropping its leaves.

Is this due to the time of year or am I doing something wrong it also said not to leave in direct sunlight but I have read contradicting evidence of this its currently on my mantel in view of the window but not directly in it.
Its quite a cold house and central heating is only on for a couple of hours a day. Its also not directly near a heat source.
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
I also think its a Chinese elm I may be wrong.

Thanks in advance
Natalie x
Attachments
14186830636925369250.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think you are right that it is Chinese Elm. They are kind of fussy and prone to dropping their leaves.

This thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 82#p345882 has some more information about them.

I am thinking that the chill and lack of light have triggered your Chinese elm in to winter dormancy. Although this subtropical tree can sometimes be treated like a tropical and kept going indoors through the winter with warmth and light, since yours is already going in to dormancy, I would just let it rest. Take it off the mantel, put it in a cool spot in your house (hopefully somewhere where the temps stay more consistently between 50 and 60 with out so much up and down variation). Don't worry about giving it much light, do not fertilize it, water it infrequently. It will finish dropping its leaves and be dormant. In late winter, when the days are getting longer, you can bring it back in to light and warmth and start fertilizing and watering more.

nattyh
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for that I'll give it a try Natalie x

Return to “Bonsai Identification”