saundrals
Newly Registered

home depot bonsai

I bought this bonsai tree from Home Depot a month or so ago. Wondering what kind it is (or if it is actually a bonsai) so I can look up care instructions. The leaves are waxy.
Attachments
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Saundrals!

I am really bad at ID'ing. I'm thinking it is a dracena--lucky bamboo. It is a house plant due to it being too tender for most of the USA.

Lucky bamboo can be a lovely house plant, but it aint bonsai.

The two characters that make up bonsai stand for tree + tray, for a woody plant in a shallow pot. An English ivy hits nearer to that mark than a lucky bamboo does.

saundrals
Newly Registered

I thought it looked more like bamboo. thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

saundrals,

Another possibility might be Schefflera but I can't say for certain from your pictures. Have a look at this thread and compare yours to one I've been working on.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

This is why I hate IDing trees. I think Norm is right.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was thinking schefflera, but I was keeping my mouth shut, since I think tom knows a lot more than I do! :)

saundrals
Newly Registered

Norm, I looked through your pictures, my plant is definitely a schefflera! thanks!

tsmillin
Newly Registered

Hey Guys,

My wife and I just purchased this same plant a couple of weeks ago... It's a Dwarf Hawaiian Umbrella...

Sorry for the late post

imafan26
Mod

Dwf Hawaiian umbrella = shefflera. We just call it umbrella plant, only the botanists know it as shefflera. It stays small for a long time, tolerates lower light levels and is fairly tolerant of abuse.
Bad points for it as a bonsai: You are limited in choices for styling; leaves are big and usually only near the top so no levels or tiers.
Just because a plant is in a pot does not make it a bonsai. Bonsai starters are potted plants until they are styled. Hacking a plant without consideration to how it is going to look a year or two later is not bonsai.

Bonsai requires patience grasshopper. A lot of thought should be going into it when you select and look at the tree to visualize what it can become not today or tomorrow, but a year, 5, or 10 years down the road. It is an art form that respects and tries to immitate nature not just chop it up. The tree that bends in the wind does not break. A bad pruning job on a tree can ruin it forever.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”