Yusuf3011
Newly Registered

Help me identify my bonsai and why is it turning yellow

I bought this bonsai about a month back and have kept it outdoors where it gets sunlight in afternoon for 3-4 hours. I am watering it daily. But it has started turning yellow since last 3 days. Pl help me to understand why and how do I protect it? Also need tips on what to feed the tree?

Thanks for your assistance
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Suofei
Newly Registered

I am unsure about the species of your bonsai but I think it might be a ficus or Fukien tea.:?:

As for why it is turning yellow, it could be a number of reasons:
Watering it everyday seems like a lot to me so make sure that it is not damp when you do water it.
It might also need a bit more light so try to introduce it slowly to a sunnier place outdoors. This needs to be done gradually or you will harm it even more.
It could also just be the shock of moving to a new place so as well as doing the things above, let it settle down and be patient.

To fertilise my bonsai I use Chrysal bonsai plant food and I highly recommend it. This might also help your bonsai regain health.

I hope this helps :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree watering it daily is too much (although of course depending on how you are watering, it could also be too little, if you are just sprinkling the surface or misting the tree). What you want to do is water thoroughly until there is water running out the drain holes, or set it in water in the sink and let it soak it up for 10 min. Then drain the excess water out and don't water again until it needs it. Put a wooden chopstick an inch or so down in to the soil and leave it for awhile. If the chopstick is dark and damp when you pull it out, the soil is still damp, so don't water.

Incidentally the soil it is in looks like regular potting soil. You need bonsai soil which is much more mineral/ gritty and free draining. Your potting soil holds too much water.

Yusuf3011
Newly Registered

Thanks for your assistance. Will try and move it in more light gradually and will water accordingly.

Suofei. Unfortunately the chrysal bonsai food is not available here so what would you advice? In terms of content of food?

Suofei
Newly Registered

Try to get a fertiliser with nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (NPK). Chrysal has a ratio of 4:6:6 for NPK but 5:5:5 will do just fine :)

Yusuf3011
Newly Registered

Thanks. Yes I have it.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”