Silver89
Newly Registered

Bonsai Tree Identification?

For Christmas my gf bought me this tree, I've never had a bonsai tree before and somehow they managed to lose the label :roll: so I don't really know what to do at the moment.

I'm hoping you could help me identify the tree so that I can start to properly look after it.

Any help would be treerific, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6475.JPG
IMG_6475.JPG (30.56 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
IMG_6476.JPG
IMG_6476.JPG (46.04 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
IMG_6444.JPG

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Silver89,

Hello and welcome. Your tree appears to be a Ficus of some sort but I can't peg the exact ID. If you are leaving it inside the outer container, that should be eliminated. Constantly wet roots leads to health issues.

Read this thread to learn about using a chopstick to judge its moisture levels.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Norm

Silver89
Newly Registered

Okay thanks, are most ficus trees fairly similar caring for wise?

I'm looking to get a better pot in the near future, I'd been browsing these earlier on: https://www.got-bonsai.co.uk/bonsai-pots ... ge=0&top=1&

Thanks for the chopstick method as well, I'll have a read of that.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Silver89,

Glad to help. I only grow one species of Ficus so I am not in a position to speak authoritatively but the care of most types seems to be similar. When you re-pot you should take the opportunity to upgrade your soil, bonsai "soil" is very different than conventional potting soils that you may be familiar with. To start to familiarize yourself with these concepts have a look at this thread.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

Norm

imafan26
Mod

I have grown ficus and all of them like pretty much the same things. Ficus have very aggressive root systems so they are good in pots. Traditional bonsai media which is made up more of different sizes of small stones and gravel is very well drained so knowing when to water is necessary. Good thing they are fairly hard to kill.

Most bonsai trees are outdoor plants and should be kept outdoors most of the time. Because bonsai are contained and have very little media a slow release fertilizer like osmocote or regular water soluable feedings help. fig roots spread on the surface but will go out the drain hole and seek the ground so make sure you keep the roots trimmed and repot the fig about every 6 mos to a year. It depends on how fast it grows.

Ficus does have one quirk. The one you have has very dark leaves so it has probably been in a house or low light condition for a while. When ficus that has been in relatively low light is brought into more light than it is used to, the leaves may burn so harden it off. However, if the ficus is in a lot less light than it was used to, all of the leaves will probably drop off and you might think it is dead.

It isn't dead, but will go dormant if the light is inadequate. In either case, the plant will usually recover. So, the word is that whatever spot you choose to keep it in, give it as much light as possible. Keep it outside if you can and the plant will make an adjustment to its condition. Once you find the happy place, don't move it any more than necessary.

BTW while the tree is in a bonsai pot it looks more like it was trimmed to a topiary form rather than any of the traditional bonsai forms.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”