tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Bonsai Id help!

nath wrote:Do you have any tips for me growing my own
Read up on and lavish money and time on perfect soil. A pretty big tree can do well in a really shallow tiny pot if the soil is perfect.

In the fairly cool midwest (here USAin) or in any part of the United Kingdom perfect soil is going to be largely stoney bits, and bark mulch. In the tropics, perfect soil is going to have much more peat or sphagnum moss and less stone or bark. Tropical soil can and will drown trees in the north.

Get or make a chopstick and read up on how to use it, to check for need to water. The Learning Forum here should mention it.

Read everything! Words and pictures will talk to you and make you think of things to do with your trees. Lastly pick up and touch your tree. I dunno if it'll make your tree feel better, but it'll make you feel better.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

nath

I am going to spend this evening reading up about growing bonsai s
Uk

tomc
Super Green Thumb

My reading led me to mame* (really tiny tiny trees) and root over rock.

I'm here to tell ya' its a lot easier for me to build root over rock style than mame trees.

I dummy up and do the tiny ones (over again) about once ever ten years, I shook it off on my last attack... ;)

*Mame: more than one fits in the palm of your hand.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

nath

Root over rock sounds good
Uk

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

growing your own what?

If you meant growing your own bonsai, that very much depends on what you want to grow as a bonsai. There is a wide range of trees, shrubs, and woody vines that can be treated as bonsai.

I think what tom was getting at, is that a really good way to get started in bonsai, is to find a well started tree or shrub, in your garden or in a nursery, or even by the roadside. You are looking for one that has a good thick trunk (preferably at least an inch thick, which would allow for a 6" tall finished bonsai), nice roots and smallish leaves. Having acquired it, potted it in to a good sized nursery pot, and let it adjust for awhile, you can then start cutting it down to bonsai.

Cutting something down is easier and faster than growing it out. People often are sold some little stick tree in a bonsai pot, that has already had some bonsai shaping. It will never develop any more kept in the bonsai pot.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Bonsai Identification”